Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dog Bumps
cakzoh posted:
I have a 7 yr. old border collie mix that I originally got from the pound as a puppy. She is very smart and loves to be active. I have been finding more and more small bumps all over her body. Most of them are pretty firm and are only about a 1/4" round and raised above the skin. They don't get any larger but more of them. Recently, I found a softer larger bump internally on her right side near the back. I can press on it and move it and it doesn't bother her. None of the bumps seem to bother her if I touch them. It doesn't seem to be getting any larger, however, I have noticed recently that if she runs alot for a long time, she has a bad time getting up because of her back legs. Normally, you wouldn't think she had any problems with her back legs unless she runs a long time. Should I be worried about all the little bumps? Could her back legs just be from old age or due to the larger soft bump? Is there some way that I could tell whether or not the bumps are causing problems? She eats well, loves to chew on bones, loves to play but those bumps are coming out more often. I have been giving her about a teaspoon of Flexseed Oil everyday in her wet food dinner for shedding problems. I feed her less than a cup of dry food in the morning and 1/2 can of wet food in the evening and dog treats in between. She is a house dog that can go in and out all day long. I have been giving her Frontline Plus for a long time and heart worm meds but I wouldn't think they should be causing it as I have 2 other dogs that I do the same thing with them. I'm hoping you will say not to worry but I don't want to let it go if you think it could become a more serious problem. Thanks for you attention.

FERGOOT responded:
IF THE BUMPS STAY SMALL AND DON'T ULCER OR BECOME SORE TO THE TOUCH THEY ARE PROBABLY OKAY. THE LARGER ONE ON HER SIDE/BACK PROBABLY SHOULD BE CHECKED TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOTHING. AS WITH ANYONE IF YOU OVEREXCERT YOURSELF YOU WILL BE A LITTLE SORE THE NEXT DAY AND SHE IS CONSIDERED MIDDLE AGED TO GERIATRIC AT 7 YEARS OLD. ASK YOUR VET ABOUT AN ARTHRITIS MED TO GIVE HER ONLY ON THE DAYS SHE DOES THIS. YOU COULD ALSO TRY PUTTING HER ON A GLUCOSAMINE/CHONDROITIN SUPPLEMENT IT MAY HELP FOR HER JOINTS. SOME DOGS HAVE A CONDITION CAUSED HIP DYSPASIA ALSO( HIP JOINTS NOT FORMED NORMALLY) IF SHE HAS A SLIGHT CASE OF THIS WHEN SHE WAS YOUNG IT MAY NOT HAVE AFFECTED HER BUT AS SHE AGES IT MAY BE COMING INTO PLAY. AN XRAY OF HER PELVIS CAN RULE OUT HIP DYSPLASIA

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
I second the opinion to see your vet. I also would recommend changing from flaxseed to a fish or algal source for omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseed is a poorly bioavailable source of fatty acids.

NSAIDS, glucosamine/chondroitin and Adequan are also beneficial in many cases.

Once you get a diagnosis for the skin and pain your baby will feel much better.

Dr. Ernie

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections