Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
I have a cocker spaniel who breaks out after grooming.
An_221078 posted:
We are new to the area and have no vet. What can I put on these to dry them up? He doesn't itch alot but there are lumps on his back. I can peel them off. They use oatmeal soap for his bath?????

Home2strays responded:
are they round lesions and is he itchy? sounds like a staph infection- my bichon kept getting that after we took her to a particular groomer, he'll need to be on antibiotics and not get groomed again til it clears up so he doesn't spread it and tell your groomer so they make sure they clean thier tools between grooms.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
Time to see your vet! Those bumps may be a bacterial skin infection, a yeast skin infection or even ringworm (yikes!).

Once you determine the cause, your (new) vet can prescribe methods to prevent future outbreaks.

Good Luck! Dr. Ernie

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections