Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Help! Dog vomiting, with diarrhea, and won't eat!!!
Meabo posted:
I have a two year old Lab/Boxer (male), Shamrock, who refuses to eat. He had been vomiting off and on for about a week, mostly food or just bile. He did continue to drink water, but he eventually stopped eating completely. He also had runny diarrhea, gas, bad breath, and some bloating. Right now I feed him Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice. He would take a treat but that was about it. He began acting sluggish, almost like he was depressed. He's usually very active and loves to wrestle with his brother, Bolo (same litter, he has no problem eating). I also noticed he began acting like it was difficult for him to walk. He would jump off the bed after sleeping, walk a little, and then freeze. He would stand there and almost sway a little, like he was going to pass out, before he would start off again.

I took Shamrock to the vet and the doc said he may have an infection in his G.I. tract/stomach. According to the vets scale, Shamrock had lost 5 or 6 pounds (I had just taken him in two weeks before for yearly shots). At the visit for his stomach, the doc gave him three shots (metoclopramide, dexamethasone, and something written as Pen.G Ben./Pen. G Procaine). He also sent Shamrock home with metoclopramide pills to take three times daily for 5 days and metronidazole pills to take daily (1 1/2 pills). I was also informed to put him on a boiled chicken (boneless and skinless) and rice diet for five days.

He was doing quite well after the five days...eating, playing but only a little, and solid poop. Well I slowly started adding his dog food to the chicken and rice. He would eat as normal. I eventually just had his kibble with chicken, but he would not touch it. I even tried to give him banana, which he loves, but he would not eat it. Now, Shamrock is back to lying around, not eating, not playing, and having diarrhea. He also vomited today for the first time in a week and a half (it was only water and chicken).

I'm so incredibly desperate to find out what is wrong with my baby :( I hate seeing him lifeless and not eating. I plan on taking him back to the vet and seeing what else can be done. I'm very worried because our vet sometimes seems to brush off his clients concerns. Do you have any advice or ideas of what could be the problem with Shamrock? Have any of you experienced the same or something similar? Thanks in advance.

Violets_are_Blue responded:
Which version of Blue Buffalo were you feeding exactly? The company has voluntarly recalled their Large Breed Chicken formula 30 lbs. bag with the expiration dates of Sep 22 2011, Sep 23 2011, and Oct 26 2011. An error with one of their manufacturers made some versions of food have excess Vitamin D which can cause some of the symptoms you are describing. More information can be found here:

http://bluebuffalo.com/news/vitamin_d-voluntary-recall.shtml

If you happen to have the large breed formula and have been feeding a bag of it since before Oct 7th, I would call the company and buy another bag of food. He could have an aversion to the food since it seemed to make him feel bad so try a different flavor to tempt him once he's feeling better.

Will Draper, DVM responded:
Meabo: sorry your boy is so sick...but you definitely need to follow your gut and take him back to the vet- and as soon as possible. It sounds like it is time for some diagnostics such as blood work, x-rays, ultrasonography, etc. Best to you and Shamrock.
Dr. Will

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Financial Help With Vet Bills
Please look into the credit plan called Care Credit. No interest payments and it is easy to quailify for. It will take the sick feeling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections