Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
please help
gidgetsfriend posted:
my 9 year old chauwawa thinks her toy is her puppy. she treats it just like her babby has nothing to do with me, she wont eat she will verly leave it long enough to drink,she even tryes to nurse it. what should i do? I have tryed to take it away but she goes belistic,starts hunting all over for it.
Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Dear gidgetsfriend,
Could you dog have a false pregnancy? You don't mention if she is spayed, but if she is not, that might be the cause. Here is a link to a blog on the topic. Hope it helps. Ann Hohenhaus
gidgetsfriend replied to Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM's response:
thank you so much for your information, no she has not been spaded. she is 9 or 10 years old is this to old to get her spaded.
Violets_are_Blue replied to gidgetsfriend's response:
It is not and should be done for her health. Older females can get a life-threatening disease (i.e. fatal) called pyometra where the uterus becomes infected after a regular heat cycle when she is not bred. The only treatment for this problem is an emergency spay. If you are worried about her age, many vets can run a pre-anesthetic blood panel just to be sure her kidneys and liver are working fine (these are the organs that deal with removing the anesthetic agents from the bloodstream) and you should discuss the risks and your concerns with your vet. It would be best to have her spayed as soon as your vet thinks is a comfortable time (preferably after this false pregnancy).


William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections