Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My Kitty's Attitude
CES56 posted:
In the last two months my cat has changed her personality and attitude. She has started to hiss and growl now when I pick her up and cradle her in my arms. She is about four years old now and has never done this before. She also has recently been hissing ,growling ,and attacking my Vet. A year ago she had her shots and got fixed and she was very mild with the Vet. I didnt even have to restrain her. Now shes a terror. Last week I had a vet come here to my apartment and cut her toenails and give her her shots and I couldnt even hold on to her.The Vet said she looks healthy and well but she wants to take blood samples to her office. She is going to return with a seditive and get her blood. She lives alone with me and doesnt see too many people. Whats her problem and how do I correct it.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi CES56,

It sounds like your veterinarian wants to make sure this sudden behavior change is not due to any medical problems, hence the drawing of a blood sample. It could perhaps be behavioral, and veterinarians now have a few more medications to calm down stressed kitties that act this way, but we want to make sure there is not a medical problem making her behave differently.
Work with your veterinarian. I hope that her health turns out to be fine. I assume the veterinarian checked for pain anywhere, including the back, that might make your kitty hiss. You are headed on the right track.

Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections