Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Infected eye
An_221144 posted:
My pup has an infected eye with mucous coming out of it. It also looked like he has scratched his eyeball. How do I treat this?

Violets_are_Blue responded:
If you believe he has scratched his eye, it would be best to get him to a vet as soon as you are able to. Over the counter eye drops will not treat an infection and it could get worse. Your vet will more than likely need to do a corneal stain to check if he has scratched his eye before they will prescribe anything (antibiotic eydrops with steroids can cause an eye with a scratch to become even worse). Try to keep him from itching it until you are able to get him in with either close supervision or an e-collar.

I hope it is nothing serious and it heals up well.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
HI Anon,
Sorry for the delay.
I agree with the answer below. Corneal scratches are painful and nothing to be ignored. Your veterinarian is the best resource to identify how severe the problem might be and the best ointment to treat it. There are several choices in antibiotic ointments, and steroids we want to avoid if there is truly a scratch. I never like to wait on eye problems as they can quickly get worse.
Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections