Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My dog ate a Popsicle stick!!!
its_deanna7 posted:
have an 85lbs black lab she does not chew.. she swallowed a whole Popsicle stick!! we called the vet and they said to feed her rice til it passes.. shes been pooping left and right... its been 2 days still no stick!

she seems fine she is her normal self.. can i quit worrying or should i take her to the vet?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi there,

For peace of mind, it would be nice to see the stick pass. I trust you are combing through her poop carefully. Continue what your veterinarian advised over the weekend and give them a call on Monday and see if they want you to continue. If they are open tomorrow, you could check with them and see if they want to make any changes in recommendation regarding the food. Rice should help bind up around the stick but it may not be working in your dog's case.
I have never heard of a popsicle stick causing an obstruction but it would be great to see it pass. I am glad she is doing fine and all will likely be well, but check in with your veterinarin. A stick would be difficult to see on an xray although we could look for an obstructed intestine.

Dr. Sandy

its_deanna7 replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
okay thank you so much!!! im sure she wont fuss with the extra food in her bowl!!

carlabelle replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
I am posting here because I looked at a lot of forums on this topic (I guess dogs swallowing whole popsicle sticks is fairly common) but was frustrated to find that nobody followed up after the incidents to report on what happened. My 8-year-old 90-pound yellow lab swallowed a popsicle stick whole (along with the dropped popsicle) 2 weeks ago. I consulted with my vet, who told me that unless the dog was clinically ill -- vomiting, in pain, or not eating, drinking, or defecating -- there was nothing they could do to treat him. A popsicle stick will not show up on an X-Ray. And because it is treated wood, it will not break down or digest easily. She instructed me to feed him 3-6 pieces of fluffy white bread (like Wonder) to see if we could move it along. I did this on two separate days with no effect. Ultimately, all I could do was watch and wait and hope that it navigatged the digestive system without causing a perforation (not too likely because of the rounded corners, unless it splinters) or an obstruction. I am happy to report that my dog passed his stick today completely intact. I was surprised that it took a whole two weeks to came out, but I'm glad the event is over and wish anyone in the same situation the best of luck!

sitstay replied to carlabelle's response:
This happened to my dog when she was 7 mos old. We held an ice cream bar for her to lick and her tongue wrapped around the stick and down it went. It was New Years Day and emergency care said to bulk her up with food to help it pass. I was worried and brought her to my vet the next day. She took an x ray and there it was, clear as day. So it most definitely will show up on an x ray. The stick was in a transverse position, which meant it would never pass out through her intestines. She was scheduled for surgery the next day. An hour prior to surgery time, she miraculously vomited the stick up. To this day, I do not allow ice cream on a stick in the house. My girl is now 15.

LewisPawlett responded:
have also just had this happen to my blue staffie at 9 months old i am doing eveything i can to shift it form her such as bread with butter on it and rice and have given her some juice with lactose in it help her poop

An_258042 responded:
I know it is a long time ago, but my dog swallowed a whole popstick on Sunday, and it passed out in his poo on Wednesday. He was fine. The stick was intact but a lot softer and stinkier than when it went in there.

rohvannyn replied to An_258042's response:
I would imagine that the rounded ends of the stick helped it pass through safely. I'm glad your dog is okay. I get a little nervous about swallowing wood ever since I heard about the writer who died courtesy of a toothpick from a martini olive. He got a punctured gut and a nasty case of undiagnosed peritonitis. But that toothpick was sharp, and the popsicle stick was not.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections