Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Sore in genital area
squiggy1222 posted:
My husband found a huge sore on our german sheperd dog in her genital area, it doesn't appear to be infected it is just this big sore, can someone give me some kind of idea what this may be?and how to treat this sore?

Take the Poll

• any
  • any
vote
View Poll Results

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi Squiggy1222,

I am not really sure what this sore is. German sheperds can get some sores or fistulas around their anus, but sores and infections can come from many different sources in that area: trauma, grass awns, even bite wounds. In the short term, the area could be cleaned gently with hydrogen peroxide and a triple antibiotic creme applied, if she will let you do that. But I would contact your veterinarian to see exactly what the problem is and how best to treat it before it gets worse.
Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections