Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dog's erection
jbbb1015 posted:
We recently adopted an older dog (6-7 years old) who was neutered at the shelter where we adopted. It has been aprox. 2 weeks since the surgery and his penis is protuding from the sheath almost constantly. When I took him to my vet, I was told that this could be ocurring from the surgery and it should go away within a few weeks. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Congratulations on adopting a mature dog. They can make excellent pets. I would first wonder if the penis is always out or only after the dog becomes excited or while it is grooming itself. It is not uncommon for a dog, even neutered, to get aroused and get an erection. There are two conditions that can cause a constant erection, paraphimosis and priapism. Paraphimosis can be a medical emergency. Since your veterinarian has examined your dog, it is unlikely that it is a major medical problem but you could call your veterinarian and ask his/her opinion. Paraphimosis can be due to scar tissue in the sheath, a malaiciously placed rubber band around the penis, constant licking because of behavioral issues or infection. Priapism is usually due to a neurological disorder. Please call your veterinarian to be safe.

Good luck...
Dr. Bernadine Cruz

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections