Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dog with possible bulging disc/pinched nerve
An_221148 posted:
Hello! Ihave a 6 year old Boston Terrier who may possibly have a buldging disc/pinched nerve. The plan is to have him xrayed within 24 hours to confirm. However, the vet is stating that surgery would be needed in order to fix this. The surgery is approx. $2000 - 3000. Are there any other possible option? Who has this kind of money? Is this typical cost? I love my dog dearly (and the 4 others I own); my friends say my dogs are treated and cared for better than some kids in the US. LOL! :)
Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
Sorry to hear about your baby! Surgery is indicated in many cases of intervetebral disc herniation. Your vet will likely perform a myelogram or MRI to conform herniation. This is a typical, if somewhat lower, estimate for spinal surgery such as this. Good luck and let us know how your baby does.

Dr. Ernie
An_221149 replied to Ernie Ward, DVM's response:
Thank you for your response. The vet did a myelogram and nothing showed on his neck or back. Physically, he is fine. Which is a good thing! However, the vet now thinks its neurological and a form of a seizure. His muscle spasims/twitching around his shoulders have become worse after th steriod shot wore off last Saturday (vet gave). Our pup is now on Diazipam, Methocrabol, Tramasadol (??) and Rymidl. Nothing seems to be calming the twitching. He also yelps in pain when ever he wakes from sleeping or if he tries to move in his lil cozy bed. We feel so bad and have no idea how to help him. I feel the vet is only guessing at wht our pup has. What would you feel would be our next step? A neurologist?


William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections