Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Pine Needles and Cats
WVThundercats posted:
My 2 1/2 yr old female cat started eating the pine needles from the christmas tree this year. She isn't just eating the fallen ones. She is actually grabbing hold of the branches and raking her teeth along it, pulling the needles off. She didn't do this before. I can't keep her away from it. Can the pine needles or tree sap be toxic to her? I realize that this could potentially cause an intestinal obstruction or perforation if she keeps it up and eats enough needles. Are there any symptoms of toxicity that I should be watching for? Why is she suddenly going nuts over pine needles?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
I can't answer why she suddenly started her fetish for pine needles but you need to keep her away from the Christmas tree while it's up. You are correct in that she can get an obstruction or perforation and if so, will stop eating anything and start vomiting. But this can also be fatal, so no more Christmas trees for her! Good thing it only comes once a year"026

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

kathykatt replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
i read today in a Christmas newsletter from my Vet that some cats will even try to eat the needles from fake trees so beware of that. also don't let them drink the water in real trees, especially when it has additives in it, it can be dangerous. Christmas isn't the same with a sick kitty!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections