Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Pine Needles and Cats
    WVThundercats posted:
    My 2 1/2 yr old female cat started eating the pine needles from the christmas tree this year. She isn't just eating the fallen ones. She is actually grabbing hold of the branches and raking her teeth along it, pulling the needles off. She didn't do this before. I can't keep her away from it. Can the pine needles or tree sap be toxic to her? I realize that this could potentially cause an intestinal obstruction or perforation if she keeps it up and eats enough needles. Are there any symptoms of toxicity that I should be watching for? Why is she suddenly going nuts over pine needles?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
    Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
    I can't answer why she suddenly started her fetish for pine needles but you need to keep her away from the Christmas tree while it's up. You are correct in that she can get an obstruction or perforation and if so, will stop eating anything and start vomiting. But this can also be fatal, so no more Christmas trees for her! Good thing it only comes once a year"026

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
    The Cat Doctor
    Board Certified in Feline Practice

kathykatt replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
    i read today in a Christmas newsletter from my Vet that some cats will even try to eat the needles from fake trees so beware of that. also don't let them drink the water in real trees, especially when it has additives in it, it can be dangerous. Christmas isn't the same with a sick kitty!

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections