Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
question about how to live next to abused dogs
rockjdog posted:
Hello,
This is a long story but I will try to keep it short.
I have a neighbour that has two dogs. One dog lived in a cage in the front yard and one lived on a five foot leash in the back of the yard. Both dogs had very little shelter. The owner likes to go away for the weekends (about once a month she does not return until three to five days later) and these dogs were left without food and water. The dogs do not get any attention or stimulation. We live in a trailer park and the yards are small so we could hear and see the dogs crying and see the neglect.
I have offered to walk the dogs, to keep the dogs in our home at night, I have offered to buy the dogs. I even bought the dogs dog-loos. I have explained the dogs have basic feelings and need care. Nothing had worked.

So I took pictures of the dogs on the weekends. The pictures show the dogs and the living conditions. The empty bowls, lack of water etc.
I then made an appointment with animal control and explained that esp on the weekends the dogs lack water. During the week they do have water and food but come Friday night to Sunday they go without.

Our animal control called the aspca but they did not mention that the complaint was about the lack of care on the weekends. As a result animal control officers went on a Tuesday and found no violations.

They did tell the owner to buy straw for the dog houses or put the dogs inside. So the owner has put both dogs in a shed and there they have stayed almost 24 hours a day.

I called back the aspca and they came on a weekend but because the shed is locked they could not see the dogs. On another day they did inspect the shed for paint, gas or anything harmful. They then said that there was nothing more they could do unless if I see the dogs have no water on the weekend then I should call them.
However I can't because I ( like the aspca) cannot see inside the shed.
It was 18 degrees last night here in Wayne, nj. The shed they are in has thick walls but no heat. If you walk about 30 feet away from the shed you cannot hear the dogs barking but because their shed is next to our bedroom we still can hear them. One dog has a very short coat and is thin. You can see his spine. I worry about them.

This person moved in about three months ago. The problem is for me I am really starting to have a hard time with this. I feel hopeless, I can't concentrate, I have nightmares, Yesterday when I went to work I left my door wide open because my mind is not working correctly.. Seeing the abuse and now knowing it is still there is really causing me some depression.
Does anyone know how one can find help to emotionally deal with seeing abuse of animals? Is this a common reaction? I cannot fine any support groups for this type of thing. My wife is handling this better than I am. I am falling apart though.

MikkieKim responded:
This is absolutely appalling. You have not gotten the support you deserve to help these poor suffering animals. Please CALL THE POLICE as soon as possible, or exactly at the time you can see or hear the problem. Also, call a local TV station and get them to come blow the whistle on these awful people. Really raise the roof: these animals deserve help. Also, take food and water to the animals every opportunity you can on the weekends when you see them without. Very best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

rockjdog replied to MikkieKim's response:
The police tell me to call animal control. Animal control tells me there is nothing they can do (even though they messed up the investigation by not going on the weekend)
The aspca told me if they knew that the complaint cantered on the lack of minimum care during the weekend they would have gone on the weekend to build a case.

The aspca told me they can only pull a dog if it looks like the dog might die in 24 hours. They told me the animals have about the same value as a refrigerator so there is nothing to be done except write an abuse ticket.
The problem is that our animal control told the owner to keep the dogs inside or buy straw.
She chose the shed and animal control says that is a sufficient shelter.That leaves me no options to report a lack of care and no way for the aspca to see in the shed if they do come. I need to be able to see the abuse, I can't even take an educated guess.
There is no law that states that an owner has to provide more than minimul care. That means food,water and shelter. The shelter does not have to be heated as long as it protects from rain, snow and wind.It is legal to leave them in the shed for life as long as she cleans up after the dogs and give them water and food.

MikkieKim replied to rockjdog's response:
So sorry you are going through this -- it would drive me crazy, too. I would still keep at it: the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Maybe call the owner every day and leave a message, or go knock on her door along with someone else, preferably a big tall person. Don't give up. (I had trouble, too, by the way, getting the ASPCA to respond to my call for help for a dog I saw regularly in the park in very bad shape and not being treated medically by his dingbat owner. The ASPCA can be very disappointing.) I would persevere with the police, ask to speak to a superintendent, threaten to report the whole thing to the news. I would still go to your local TV station--give it a try.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections