Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Caring for the area around my Beagle's urethra.
jgthomas2 posted:
Our beagle licks the area around her urethra a lot and I've been worried that she may have a UTI. She may also be trying to clean since it seems that a lot of dirt gets trapped in there. We find ourselves cleaning out a lot of black dirt clumps when we bathe her. She has licked so much though that the skin looks chapped and irritated. What is the best way to treat the skin so it looks healthy and normal? Is getting dirt caught in there common? Her urination seems normal so I don't want to jump to conclusions about a UTI yet.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi JG Thomas2,

It may not be a UTI but checking the urine to make sure it is not causing the irritation is an easy place to start. Vaginitis is unusual especially in the older dog. Is she spayed? Some dogs also have a recessed vaginal area such that urine pools there and causes irritation. And I have seen plant material and other sources for inflammation in that area. Be gentle when you bathe that area. There is not much to apply that won't result in her licking it away. I am a great fan of panalog/triple antibiotic creme but it may just be symptomatic care.
I would mention it to your veterinarian to see what they recommend so that she is comfortable and you don't have to continue to pay attention to the problem.

Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections