Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Odd behavior in my 9 y/o Maltese
loki1962 posted:
My 9 y/o Maltese has started acting odd. She is pacing almost all the time. She seems to be eating more and is not sleeping at night. Last night she paced the bed all night long and just as I would doze off she would put her nose right in my face waking me up. She also appears to be losing her balance and showing some weakness in her hind legs. Her head is down and so is her tail most of the time. She doesn't appear to be in any pain. I felt all over her last night and no wimpering or squealing. She has growled and showed some aggressiveness to my husband when he tried to pet her. I am planning on taking her in to our vet on Saturday, but should I try to get her there sooner. Is there any urgency? Thanks for your help.

MikkieKim responded:
She might have had a stroke. Sounds a bit like it. Poor thing. I hope you get some answers soon. It will be interesting to see what the experts on this site think. Take care and be sure to have lots of water available to your dear 24/7 (despite the peeing), and don't overly tax her with walks unless you feel sure she is up to it, as she could collapse. Sounds like nerves to her hind quarters (legs, bladder) are affected.

Home2strays responded:
to me it sounds like either shes hurt her back somehow (the weakness in the backend and pacing is a sign of distress or pain) or maybe even something like hypothroid (the eating and pacing and mood change) I would probably see if they could get you in sooner just in case it is a back thing and make sure they do a full panel of bloodwork. good luck!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
Your little dog is obviously experiencing something that is distressing to her. Because you describe rear limb and balance problems, it could be a problem in the back involving the spinal cord or nerves to the rear limbs. Your veterinarian will be able to do a good workup on her if these signs are still going on. Hopefully it will not be something serious.

loki1962 replied to Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS's response:
Thank you for your reply, Dr. Beaver.
We took her to the vet last night. They took blood and did x-rays. The vet said her heart rate was rather high, at least 200, but she hates going to the vet. She will always try to escape! The vet said she didn't see anything significant in the spinal xray, but saw what she suspects is some hip dysplasia. She did say she saw something in the abdominal area, a shadow or some type of swelling or something. We couldn't see what she was looking at. She prescribed an anti- inflammatory for 5 days and an anti-emetic with a bland diet, as she had vomited yesterday morning. My little girl ate well, kept everything down and didn't seem quite as restless. She slept all night. Now just waiting for the blood work to come back Monday. Just as a comic relief. The tech put her on the floor to watch her walk. Smart little thing that she is, went straight to the door, worked it open and was trying to escape the vet's office! The tech had to chase her all around the back. We had to laugh. Sick as she is, still tryed to escape!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections