Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My dog won't drink water
cjh0130 posted:
Our german shephard won't drink water. She recently had her teeth cleaned and the vet thoroughly examined her to find out if there were any sores in her throught. He said he couldn't find anything wrong with her.

We're concerned, it's been over 2 weeks since she won't drink water. She will only eat canned dog food. We've tried everthing we know to do, she wants nothing to do with water.

What can we do to get her to drink water again

Thank-you

Violets_are_Blue responded:
Try feeding her ice cubes. One of our techs had a dog who refused to drink water as well (I never remember the reason why). She would wet her food down with a lot of water and feed her ice cubes periodically throughout the day to keep her hydrated.

Home2strays responded:
you may even try bottled water- we have well water here at home and sometimes my dogs refuse to drink it, Im assuming it occasionally smells different or unappealing to them. Or if you're on city water they occasionally put additives or use a different cleaning process in it that possibly shes smelling.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
Water comes in many forms and often from places we don't think of. As an example, many dogs will drink out of the toilet when owners are not home. Others drink from a stream or water puddles outside. If she is urinating normally, she is getting water from somewhere. Certainly the canned food has some, and you can add a little to it before feeding her. You can also try flavoring water with beef bullion cubes if you are really concerned. It may take a little detective work but my bet is on an unknown water source.

MNUSA responded:
My boxer is on a raw food diet and rarely drinks water - and he's a picture of health at 8 yrs old. He apparently gets enough water from his meals.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections