Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cat sleeps in litterbox
daughter62 posted:
I have a female cat named Angie and for some reason she likes to sleep in the litterbox. this alright and do you know what it means.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
Angie is like a LOT of other cats. We don't know why they like to do this, perhaps the litter is soft and the box gives them a secure feeling, but it generally is not a problem. the challenge for you is to keep the box clean so that she doesn't pick up feces bits or urine onto her hair. In general cats will only sleep in the litterbox if it is kept clean.

Heaven87 replied to Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS's response:
I had a Main Coon cat that loved to sleep in her litter box. The local vet told our family it was most likely because the amonia in her urine kept fleas from bitting.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Dr. Beaver is correct that some cats just do this all the time. But if this is a new behavior and she just started sleeping in the litterbox, it can be an early sign of disease. I've seen cats with kidney disease, diabetes, etc. do this when they get sick. The important point is that a change in behavior, such as sleeping in places they never did before, can be one of the earliest signs of illness and warrants an examination by your veterinarian. But if she's always done this, it's more likely a behavioral issue.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

JakiR replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
Ive seen alot of cats at cat shows sleeping in their cat litter?

Michael66049 replied to JakiR's response:
I too have seen many cats sleeping in their litter boxes, both at shows and in animal shelters/pounds. Sometimes it's the only temperature-neutral surface they can find that's not too hot or two cold, and if the caretaker is conscientious about cleaning out the solids, I suppose it's more comfortable than a metal floor; also, if the sides are high enough, the kitty may feel protected in there.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections