Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Heartbroken One
heartbrokenone posted:
Hello everyone, it has been eight months since my baby girl passed away. I still miss her terribly and her poor mate left behind by himself probably wonders what happened to her ,why she didn't come back.

Is it selfish of me if I don't want to replace her or get another dog?
My husband thinks we should get another dog to give to her companion that she left behind but I can't seem to do it. It still hurts too much just to even think of it. What do you guys think?

wmatto83 responded:
Well I think everyone deals with this situation differently including dogs. Some dogs would welcome another buddy however some dogs have a bad reaction to that particular dog because it isn't their old buddy. How old of a dog is your current one? Because if it is an older dog he might not react well to a new dog especially a puppy. Older dogs sometimes are set in their ways. I know how hard it is on the dogs left behind and for instance my boys (I have two brittanys) the one tiem my husband went away for the weekend hunting and could only take the one dog....boy oh boy was the one left behind very sad and liek he lost his best friend searching all over the husband for him.
Other than that no it is no selfish that you don't want another dog that is your personal choice maybe in a year or two you may but right now it is still pretty new and honestly I think looking at your other one beign sad about loosing his friend is going to make you healing process harder! There is no cure other than time heals all wounds. I feel so bad for you cause loosing dogs is so so devastating! You literally loose a family member! Hang in there!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections