Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
canine massage
boleia posted:
When talking with some Vets regarding massage, some think it's a waste of time,or some don't know enough about it to give you and opinion. Have there been studies done that show the benefits and downsides to it. I've been thinking of attending some workshops to study canine massage, and perhaps one day starting a small canine massage business. I could really need some good feedback on this issue.

Home2strays responded:
I have not had my dog massaged (professionally atleast, I do some physiotherapy with her by myself) but I have had a lot of massages. I was in an accident 8 months ago herniating some discs in my back and massage was the only thing that helps- im not a big medicine person. Because I was in pain all my muscles had tensed and knotted up causing even more pain, after the accident I was on a regimine of massage, ultrasound, and electromagnetic therapy 3 times a week then we eased it down to retrain my body. I dont see why massage wouldnt help animals. I would love to have the funds to be able to have my oldest one get massaged but she'll just have to settle for me because she also cant ride in a car anymore without having seizures.

Violets_are_Blue responded:
Will say that there are quite a few medical practices that have expanded from humans to animals. One clinic in our area practices acupuncture for pets with varying successes. My thought is if it helps the pet, it should be explored further. While some pets are not good canidates for massage, there should not be a reason why you cannot become an animal masseuse. There was a program on Animal Planet actually about someone who had eased into animal massages through a zoo/aquarium because of nerve problems their walrus was having. He now visits the walrus frequently to massage his lower back and has taken on some canine patients as well. It's worth looking into, I would say.

Jincyjose replied to Violets_are_Blue's response:
As a groomer,I am more concerned about humanity toward the pet rather than de-matting to make him/her look good and acceptable to the owner.We owe our pets a good life and a healthy life.To do that we need to take care of their needs.And that qualifies as humane.

Canine Massage

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections