Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Sad Day
rachael67 posted:
Today my dog, Haley, comes to the end of her journey.

Her life has reached the point where it consists of nothing more than discomfort, pills (which administering seem only to stress her more), and all the pets we can give her.

I want to thank all of you who responded about a month ago when we got the diagnosis. Your concern meant a great deal and I wanted to let you know that as well as share this day with you.

How can one know in your head that this is the absolutely right move and yet have your heart break so?

She has certainly been a terrific friend and will be missed by us more than words can say!

Rachael

wmatto83 responded:
Omg that is so sad!! I feel for you! It is so sad when we have to make choices liek this because they are our family members! Just know that you are doing the right thing and I am sure if she could talk she would ask you to do this for her. Suffering and discomfort is no life although I know how hard it is for you!! Take care time heals all wounds!

igobumpinthedark responded:
The most compassionate gift that we can give our pets is the end of suffering.

No matter how difficult, how painful, how deeply it breaks your heart or tears your soul - you know when enough is enough.

It is the true test of character to voluntarily hand a suffering pet over to God and to trust that He will care for your beloved until you're able to again.

I would tell you that time heals all wounds, but we all know that that isn't completely true. I lost my dog, Mia, 1 year and 8 months ago and I still find myself weeping at the hole she left behind. It will always ache around the edges, a little, but hold fast to the comfort that your pup isn't suffering anymore.

"Maya's First Rose" is a book that you may want to look into. It won't necessarily erase the pain, but it will assure you that you are not alone.

In my opinion, the greatest love that exists is that between a dog and their human(s). It is unwavering, unconditional, and everlasting. Until someone has loved, and lost, a good dog they will not be able to fully appreciate the bond forged between dog and man.

My heart goes out to you.

rachael67 responded:
Thanks so much to both of you for your kind words! They mean a great deal!

Blessings.
Rachael

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Dear Rachael167,

I know this is a bit late but I wanted to respond as one of the "experts' and thank you for sharing Haley's story.

I can think of no greater pleasure than sharing a life with a dog or cat and no greater sorrow than losing them. And no more difficult decision than to end suffering of a beloved pet with euthanasia.

Please take care and know that Haley will never be far from you in spirit, and always in your heart.

Dr. Sandy

rachael67 replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Care and "hugs" are never too late!! Thank you so much for your words and support.

Blessings.
Rachael

Grandmaof03 responded:
Rachael,

I have not been here is about 4 months and I wanted to post..but when I read your post I wanted to respond right away.

First...I am so very sorry for your loss...I pray that you can find peace...you deserve to have peace..the greatest show of love we can give to our furry family members it to end their suffering..

I lost my beagle boy Mikey in September he had cancer that had just spread so far that even chemo could not help him..My heart remains broken and I when I think of him (which is every second of everyday) I tear up...somedays I just sob..I allow myself to be sad and to cry and make no excuses about it...

I am sure Haley is sitting with God having a treat or two and running and playing like a puppy...

I write a journal about Mikey and wrote him a letter...all of that helped me very much...and because I am just not ready to adopt another beagle yet (I am positive Mikey will let me know when the beagle comes our way that he wants me to adopt) I have started to volunteer for a beagle rescue...I just started because it took me this long to be able to be around beagles...

God Bless and Good Luck to you
Colleen

rachael67 replied to Grandmaof03's response:
Thank you so much for your sweet note! I am sorry that you also know this loss, and hope that soon Mikey will let you know that there is another Beagle that is waiting just for you!

Until that time (for both of us), we can hopefully find solace in the lovely memories we shared with our four legged friends!

blessings.
Rachael

darmik replied to igobumpinthedark's response:
Hello igobumpinthedark and Dr.Willis!! HELP?
Bless you! I am new to this forum but would like to be here far more often and plan on it. I just read what you had written approx. 4 weeks ago, and wish I had someone like you to talk with when two of my Jack Russell's escaped the yard, were hit by vehicles, thus killed. These were approximately two years apart and about 10 yrs. ago. I was at work (State Government), when I got the call from my roommate. I supervised staff and offenders in a living unit of a state prison. Brat (my baby-I cannot physically have children) took off running when she (my roommate) neglected to secure the front screen door. He loved to run and snoop. He was about one year and a couple of months. My roommate and a couple of friends went running after him. They found him two blocks over, (nice quiet neighborhood-I lived across the street from the mayor in this small town) lying in front of a parked car. Of course no one saw anything. I was uncontrollably crying and wanted people to just leave me alone. My manager at the time was a jerk and I still had three hours of work. I couldn't go early. Right after work, I went to the location of the accident. I saw the blood, his white hairs lying in and around it. This probably sounds crazy but, I wiped up some of the blood on the asphalt with my fingers and drove home. I had pics of Bratty all over the cork-board at my desk. I wiped the blood onto the pictures. I still have his pictures and his old, dried blood (what remains of what hasn't flaked off) on a couple of them. His "presence" was what I missed so, so, so much. It hurt so badly and nothing could make it right.

[br>
My current Jack Russell, Midas (Greek for "turn to gold" lol!) who has been with me since February of 2002 just turned 9 yrs. old on January 25, 2011. About six months ago, I noticed a mole or what I justified in my mind as a skin-tag on his back left thigh area (about the size of a q-tip head). It went away in approximately 3 mths. I also justified this in my mind as "just a part of getting older," like we all get. In the meantime, he had developed another (same appearance, size, etc.) on the left side of his belly. He has had this one about 4 mths. It didn't seem to bother him, nor did the other one. We did notice at times, he would limp (would not put weight on that left leg). I made the appt. w/our vet for 2/21/11. I told her all of the aforementioned and pointed out the first one (you can still see where it was) that had gone away. She clipped part of the second one. She came back into the room and recommended it be surgically removed; it would be an outpatient surgery. She did briefly inform me of it being a mast-cell tumor. I didn't think much of it at the time, as the other had disappeared on its own. I thought about it on our drive home (approx. 35 minutes). When Midas and I got home, I talked with my husband and some other family members only to find out it WAS cancer. What? Maybe I just didn't want to hear or even know that. I am on the computer all of the time and consistently receive e-mail from Web MD, both human and animal related. I could not look this up on the computer; I could not, could not, and could not. That is until today 2/27/11. I received an e-mail from Web MD; re: pet pics. I reluctantly opened it and saw the "Get help with your pet health questions today" clicked on it and found myself in the forum. I am still trying to find more info. on "mast-cell disease or cancer," other than it having to do with rabies vaccinations. As of now, Midas is having the $500 surgery this week on Thursday, the 4th @ 7:30 a.m. I am so scared, I can't find the words. He still has a few good years, he is fine. He has all of the spunk he came with. There are no changes in any of his actions or interactions with our Corgi. What is happening to my baby?????????? I need lots and lots of prayer for both of us. I don't know if it's benign or malignant, and I don't want to. God, I'm scared!

darmik responded:
Rachael & Dr. Willis- Courage Needed

Bless you! I am new to this forum but would like to be here far more often and plan on it. I just read what igobumpinthedark posted for Rachael, and wish I had someone like her or you to talk with when two of my Jack Russell's escaped the yard, were hit by vehicles, thus killed. These were approximately two years apart and about 10 yrs. ago. I was at work (State Government), when I got the call from my roommate. I supervised staff and offenders in a living unit of a state prison. Brat (my baby-I cannot physically have children) took off running when she (my roommate) neglected to secure the front screen door. He loved to run and snoop. He was about one year and a couple of months. My roommate and a couple of friends went running after him. They found him two blocks over, (nice quiet neighborhood-I lived across the street from the mayor in this small town) lying in front of a parked car. Of course no one saw anything. I was uncontrollably crying and wanted people to just leave me alone. My manager at the time was a jerk and I still had three hours of work. I couldn't go early. Right after work, I went to the location of the accident. I saw the blood, his white hairs lying in and around it. This probably sounds crazy but, I wiped up some of the blood on the asphalt with my fingers and drove home. I had pics of Bratty all over the cork-board at my desk. I wiped the blood onto the pictures. I still have his pictures and his old, dried blood (what remains of what hasn't flaked off) on a couple of them. His "presence" was what I missed so, so, so much. It hurt so badly and nothing could make it right.

My current Jack Russell, Midas (Greek for "turn to gold" lol!) who has been with me since February of 2002 just turned 9 yrs. old on January 25, 2011. About six months ago, I noticed a mole or what I justified in my mind as a skin-tag on his back left thigh area (about the size of a q-tip head). It went away in approximately 3 mths. I also justified this in my mind as "just a part of getting older," like we all get. In the meantime, he had developed another (same appearance, size, etc.) on the left side of his belly. He has had this one about 4 mths. It didn't seem to bother him, nor did the other one. We did notice at times, he would limp (would not put weight on that left leg). I made the appt. w/our vet for 2/21/11. I told her all of the aforementioned and pointed out the first one (you can still see where it was) that had gone away. She clipped part of the second one. She came back into the room and recommended it be surgically removed; it would be an outpatient surgery. She did briefly inform me of it being a mast-cell tumor. I didn't think much of it at the time, as the other had disappeared on its own. I thought about it on our drive home (approx. 35 minutes). When Midas and I got home, I talked with my husband and some other family members only to find out it WAS cancer. What? Maybe I just didn't want to hear or even know that. I am on the computer all of the time and consistently receive e-mail from Web MD, both human and animal related. I could not look this up on the computer; I could not, could not, and could not. That is until today 2/27/11. I received an e-mail from Web MD; re: pet pics. I reluctantly opened it and saw the "Get help with your pet health questions today" clicked on it and found myself in the forum. I am still trying to find more info. on "mast-cell disease or cancer," other than it having to do with rabies vaccinations. As of now, Midas is having the $500 surgery this week on Thursday, the 4th @ 7:30 a.m. I am so scared, I can't find the words. He still has a few good years, he is fine. He has all of the spunk he came with. There are no changes in any of his actions or interactions with our Corgi. What is happening to my baby?????????? I need lots and lots of prayer for both of us. I don't know if it's benign or malignant, and I don't want to. God, I'm scared!

kathykatt responded:
Rachael, we've chatted before. love and hugs to you. Haley knew she was loved...find comfort in that. and google the Rainbow Bridge poem...my heart goes out to you...kathy

rachael67 replied to darmik's response:
Of course you're scared! You love Midas! You want nothing more than for things to remain as they are and never change. Love kinda spoils us that way! Sadly, however, that is not the way life works.

Whatever the outcome, you will find the courage to handle it simply because you have no other choice. You have to be strong for Midas...and you have to be strong for others who depend on you as well as being strong for yourself. NO! You may not WANT to be, but you WILL be! (Sometimes we surprise ourselves with what we can do!)

On Thursday I will be thinking about what is happening with you and Midas and sending all the good vibes I can that all goes well...Please feel all of us beside you when things are very stressful...We will be there because we all know too well how difficult it will be and we care!

Loosing Haley is still a little too fresh for me...I see her everywhere and miss her very much. I did, however, have a very caring vet who told me when Haley was first diagnosed that one of the criteria she relies on as to what is a signal that the pet needs intervention to end suffering (besides the obvious of pain!) is when the pet is no longer him/herself. Thankfully Haley never did suffer any distressing pain but she definitely reached the point where she no longer was able to enjoy life and was no longer herself. It was a good guide for us.

I can only imagine how much you give Midas each day...love, attention, care, more love....And, in turn how much Midas gives you. All of that will help guide you and strengthen you when things get tough.

You both are in my thoughts.
Rachael

rachael67 replied to kathykatt's response:
Kathy, thank you so much for your kind thoughts. They are greatly appreciated...Yes, I had seen the poem a few years ago and it is beautiful...but honestly, I can't read it again just yet...I'll simply hold it's thoughts in my heart for now until the time comes I can reread it. But everyone who has lost a pet should be aware of it.

Again, thank you.
Rachael

darmik replied to rachael67's response:
Rachael,
I just got an e-mail that someone had replied to my post. I want to thank you with every vibe you might have sent that day. My vet called about a week after the surgery, stated it looked good, and looked like they got it all. You must have sent a LOT of good vibes.
I wanted to thank you about the enlightenment of knowing when is when. It's a good point for us as people to know when our babies are speaking to us, and now I know. I don't want anyone to lengthen the life of their pet if it is only causing harm to both of them.
Thanks again for your powerful and meaningful words from both Midas and I. It makes us both smile!!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections