What is your dog's favorite toy?
Will Draper, DVM posted:
Toys are great for your puppy. Toys keeps them busy, encourage exercise (which makes them tired and more likely to nap), and are great for teething relief. However, it's important to make sure the toys you give your puppy -- or even an older dog -- are safe.

One of the first things to consider is the size of a toy. You don't want the toy to be so big that your puppy can't handle it. And you definitely don't want it to be so small that she could potentially swallow it. When taking into account toy sizes, consider the breed of your dog. A Toy Poodle's plaything may be acceptable for their entire life. Yet, a Great Dane's toy may be the perfect size one month and too small the next. The physical nature of any toy is also important. Soft toys can be swallowed easily and cause gastrointestinal blockage. If a toy is too hard, your dog could injure his mouth while playing with it. Pay attention to the shape of any toys you're considering, especially for your puppy. Does the toy have any pointy edges that could cause injury to the eyes or the mouth? You also want to make sure your dog's toys don't have any removable pieces (e.g. plastic eyes, rubber noses, internal whistles, etc.) that can be swallowed. Swallowed toy pieces can mean an emergency visit to the vet.

Fortunately, most commercially available puppy and dog toys are "vet tested and approved." So you don't have to do much more research with those. But be sure to look for evidence of vet testing and approval when purchasing these toys. And don't hesitate to stick to the basics: A firm rubber toy with rounded edges is always a good choice.

What kind of toys do you provide for your puppy? How do you choose toys for your more mature dog?
Dr. Will

MikkieKim responded:
My little wolf loves the cylindrical-shaped Kong, stuffed sparingly with peanut butter. He looks forward to it ardently every evening. It gives not only his teeth/mouth but his whole body a good workout, and boy do we need some indoor exercise these days with the wicked winter weather this year.

wmatto83 responded:
My boys love their pheasant approved by the AKC....but all the stuffing is out! LOL! But they still love to play with it anyways.

Will Draper, DVM replied to MikkieKim's response:
Peanut butter in the Kong...my dogs LOVE it! And I hear you about the weather! Great job, Mikkie!
Dr. Will

Rohvannyn replied to Will Draper, DVM's response:
My dog used to love her "flossy thing" which was a really thick tough rope that had a big knot at both ends. It had soft fibers and you could play tug of war with it. We got rid of it when it became too worn to be safe.