Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bloat surgery
Mechele13 posted:
I have a Dane mix 7 1/2 months. I take him to a clinic and have seen and talk to atleast 6 different doctors. Out of these 6 I have had 3 different opinions about this surgery.

1st opinion is to get the surgery when neutering, that way he is only put under once.

2nd opinion Wait til he is full grown .

3rd opinion Only get the surgery after he gets bloat do not use it as a preventative.

I want to get my puppy fixed in the next couple of weeks. What should I do about the bloat surgery???
Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
Bloat dilemma - a very common challenge.

Truth is - there is no single right answer. Studies and opinions vary widely; that's why you're seeing such diverse opinions.

First thing: what do you think after talking with 6 doctors (that's a lot!)?

Secondly: which doctor do you feel most comfortable with?

Finally, base your decision on those feelings and conclusions.

Bottom line: there's no easy or "right" answer for this one. This is where having a trusted relationship with your vet is really important.

Love to know what you're thinking.

Good luck, Dr. Ernie
Mechele13 replied to Ernie Ward, DVM's response:
That's the problem with going to a clinic you never see the same doctor twice. So you never get to build a relationship with the doctors. I agree that putting him under only once would be a good thing but he is still growing if he has his stomache attached while still growing will that rip or stretch thing that aren't supposed to be ripped or stretched? He still has a lot of growing to do and I want to what is best for him.I just don't know what that is.


William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections