Includes Expert Content
Liver disease in my mini Schnauzer
An_221269 posted:
Couldn't get her teeth cleaned as her liver enzymes were advanced and were higher than 6 months ago. the tell me testing is not conclusive and want 300 for blood test to start and more for diagnosis. What can I do -the dog is 13yrs old, in general good health and active, she does drink a lot of water from time to time and she is gaining weight.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
You have a valid concern because older dogs do need dental care but there is a concern that the liver may not be functioning properly. Be sure to talk to your veterinarian for suggestions. We usually want to get the liver issues under control first. While the ideal situation would be to have a liver biopsy to find out the exact cause of the elevated liver values, many owners do not want to have that done. Instead, there are a number of medications that can help control increasing liver values. Once that is under some control, then it is time to consider the dental - don't forget about those teeth because that will only get worse and also make the liver issues worth due to bacteria in the blood stream from the infected gums.

I'm sorry to hear about this double problem, but most dogs can continue to live long, high quality lives with appropriate veterinary care.