Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Re: Cat sneezing
An_221276 posted:
My 4 yr old cat starting sneezing, his appetite was not affected by it. I took him to the vet on Friday, he had no temps, they cleaned his ears, he had very little wax. The vet gave him a Convenia Injection. On Sunday he lost his appetite completely and wouldn't eat or drink.

Do you think that this can be related to the shot? I 've checked on the internet, and I've seen some thing's regarding the covenia shot to be of concern, I just want my cat to get his appetitie back, he is still sneezing, and is quiite lethargic.

Any replies would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

Home2strays responded:
most likely hes lost his appetite because hes sick- not the shot. Animals rely heavily on smell, if he cant smell his food hes less likely to eat it. Have you tried feeding wet food? heating it up in the microwave will make it even smellier and youll have a better chance of him eating. give the convenia a few days to kick in- if you go to the doctor sick the first day you take antibiotics you dont feel immediately better right?

sl52 replied to Home2strays's response:
Thank you for your response, but I neglected to add, that my cat had a good appetite, before he got the shot, even when he was sneezing.

Home2strays replied to sl52's response:
right, but how long was he sick before he got the shot?

larsstarscanary responded:
Are you able to vacuum a few times a week with the windows open? Are you able to mop after vacuuming? Are you able to wash blankets once or twice a month or more, if possible? Perhaps your cat has an allergy.

After an antibiotic, my cat didn't do very well and had diarrhea. The vet recommended a probiotic, and my cat's appetite returned and the diarrhea stopped.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Cefovecin (Convenia) is a broad spectrum long-acting injectable antibiotic that has a very good safely record. That being said, any animal can react to any medication (even humans!) While it's possible your cat's anorexia is a side effect of the injection, it's more likely related to whatever is causing your cat to sneeze. Another reason I see for anorexia in many sneezing cats is that they're so congested, they can't smell and if they can't smell, they won't eat. Short acting anti-inflammatories are helpful but something you can try at home is a humidifier, just like a congested child. Using canned (smelly) cat food is also helpful. If your cat doesn't start eating in 48 hours or less, please consult with your veterinarian.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

sl52 replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
I want to thank you Dr. Weigner, and everyone that replied to my post. My cat Sunny is alright now, and is doing everything he usually does, it was a temporary thing, and I am thankful for that. I get easily alarmed when he isn't eating etc, he is my little boy and I love him very much.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections