Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
my doodle throws up on an empty stomach
royalsmom posted:
I have a 3 yr old Goldendoodle that is very active and healthy. Eating has always been an issue with her but our concern is the fact that if we don't get food into her in time she throws up yellow foamlike liquid. If it only happened occasionally it would not be a problem. But it happens 3 to 4 times a week. We feed her 4 times a day. As soon as she gets up (usually 5am), at noon, 4:30 and 8:30 pm. Getting her to eat her food is always a challange but we make sure it goes down. The vet's suggestion was to get her on prescription food for weight loss, that did not work. We tried a number of types of food and have stayed with NutriSource. We worry the vomiting is not good for her. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this?

wmatto83 responded:
My dogs pukes often when they are hungry....I don't think it is out of the ordinary when I am hungry if I dont eat I get weak and sick. I have low blood sugar tho. So many that is what happens to a dog also. Did your vet say anything about how many times a day you are feeding her?? I have two brittanys. They get fed 2 times a day and that is it. They each get a cup of dry food a piece. Once in the morning and once at dinner time. THey get milkbones as treats and other treats that have simialr consistancy to milkbones. Thruout the day but not in excess. How much do you feed her each time? Maybe you are feeding her too much too often which is why she doesn't want to eat?? Dont know just a suggestion there.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi Royalsmom,

Sometimes dogs have some problems with acid on an empty stomach, and we may prescribe metaclompromide to encourage the stomach to empty, and pepcid to treat the extra acid.

Feeding a dog four times a day is alot. Has your veterinarian taken some xrays to make sure the esophagus is not dilated and the stomach and intestines look okay. Is her blood work normal? Perhaps as your veterinarian suggested it is a food sensitivity but I would make sure other causes of vomiting are ruled-out; then we can try diet and some medications.

Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections