Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Maltese
hwimmer posted:
I have a 2 yr old female maltese. She was nuetered this past January. She has had 3 episodes within the last 4 weeks staying up all night, tossing and turning her head, acting like she is hearing or seeing something, not hungry, not thirsty, paces, whines, doesn't make eye contact or respond to calling her name and it is really worrying me. Nothing new in diet, environment, usually comes on in the evening, lasts all night, sometimes the next day and then she comes out of it and sleeps. During the episode she will feel hot, has tremors, then starts panting. I hold her like you would a baby with colic and rub her tummy and it seems to comfort her, but only a few seconds. Any idea what causes this?

Home2strays responded:
maybe there are fireworks going off near your house? is it when there is a storm? whatever the problem is, you are reinforcing the behaviour by petting and praising her- in her mind "im pacing and frantic and mom is petting me and telling me thats a good state to be in". She may be sick but it sounds behavioural to me ( yes, even being hot, their temps rise when stressed) try and watch the weather and see if that has anything to do with it and go outside and see if theres fireworks or making even construction going on.

starbaby42 responded:
hwimmer
I have had maltese for around 15 years and my 1st pup was also spayed at about 2 years old. Never had a problem with her until spayed and about 1 month after having the procedure done she started doing some of the same things your female is doing. so back to the vet we go, I dont think he believed me until low and behold she had an issue right in front of him. he informed me she was having a seizure and he believed that it was caused by the anathesiza (sorry i cant spell it) that was used. He also informed me that she would be alright, that sometimes it takes time for the drugs to get out of there systems. I did eventually put her on anti-seizure meds and that stopped the problem. Hope this helps, the only thing that you can do is make the pup comfortable until it passes. If it does continue please call the vet back that spayed her and discuss the issue with him/her good luck

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi there,

You have received some good advice. However, I would rule-out metabolic problems such as liver dysfunction, etc. by seeing a veterinarian and doing some blood work before assuming it is behavioral. I do not like the part where your maltese paces. There are some problems with the liver, identified on routine blood work in addition to a liver function test called bile acids, that should be ruled-out. We should make sure it is also not a gastrointestinal problem. Epilepsy can cause seizure activity, and it is a diagnosis that we come to after ruling-out other problems. The effects of an anesthetic would not last this long.
I would have your little maltese examined by your veterinarian if this activity continues. Something is not quite right.

Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections