Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Lump on dog's right rib cage
An_221293 posted:
Good evening,

We just noticed a quarter-sized lump on our dog's right rib cage. The lump is about three inches below her spinal column on the rib cage. It is not visible under her coat-- it is something we noticed while rubbing her. The lump is not hard. It can be manipulated, but does not "migrate" away from that location. Casey does not cry or whine when it is touched in any way.

Casey is a 6 year old altered female Golden Retriever. In October 2010, we had a very serious case of gastroenteritis that required hospitalization due to the blood loss from her anus. Prior to that, she had no major health complications or concerns. The onset of the gastroenteritis coincided with a 1800 mile move and 45 days of temporary housing in an over-sized hotel room. She never passed anything of interest and radiographs did not reveal conclusive evidence. It was assumed that the onset was stress-induced and/or stress-related.

At this time, Casey is eating well (Science Diet I/D) and appears happy and lively. We have noticed an increasing stiffening in her hips and more difficulty getting up when she is laying down. She is on a daily glucosamine supplement.

We are unsure if this is related to the observed stiffening in the hips or if this is some entirely separate. Thank you for your time, help, and reply!

ChattyKathy1423 responded:
I have a dog that has a few lumps on different parts of her body. I have had the lumps aspirated and they are fatty tissue (lipoma). Once she got one lump, she started getting more and more. My vet told me to watch to see if the lumps get any bigger. A lipoma is a benign fatty lump. They are very common in older, middle aged dogs. Overweight female dogs are especially prone to developing Lipomas. Hope all is ok with your dog. Good Luck!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections