Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Please Help
susanblatz65 posted:
I have a boxer that is a little over 2 years of age. I just noticed him digging at his ear. He has never had any problems with his ears before. My question is how do you know when your dog has an ear infection? and what are the treatments for an ear infection. My dog is very healthy and has been neutered and has all of his shot up to date. I am worried about his ear. Any answers will help me.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi there,

Digging at an ear can be a sign of infection. Allergies and thyroid problems can be an underlying cause. Ear mite/parasites occur more often in cats. Dogs can sometimes can something stuck in their ears but this is relatively uncommon. Rarely scratching at an ear may be a simple irritation, itch, etc. But if your dog is really spending time scratching at the ear, there may be a problem.
You can look for signs of redness, discharge (greasy to pus like), and smell: many infections smell awful.
Your veterinarian can look down the ear with a scope and evaluate the ear canal deeper than you can look.
Simply cleaning the part of the ear you can see with a cotton ball and warm water will clear away some debris; but deeper cleaning and treatment with antibiotics requires your veterinarian.

Dr. Sandy

susanblatz65 replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Thank you Dr.Sandy. Just to be on the safe side I am going to take Zander to my Vet tomorrow. I appreciate all of your help. You gave me great advice several months ago when my american bulldog had a growth on his tail. I had the growth removed and Tyson is doing great. One more question I have for you. Tyson is afraid of any noise that occurs outside. He will actually stand there and shake. He has been like this since I rescued him about a year ago. Do you have any recommendations for any medication that I can request from my vet to help him with this problem? It is terrible to watch him get so upset when he is out doors. It is almost to the point of coming to terms of having him put to sleep. Is it fair for him to live in fear? The weird thing about this is that he is the happest dog while indoors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections