Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Skin Infection
Grandmaof03 posted:
I just don't know what I am going to do...

I have a 10 year old female cocker spainel who has had a skin infection for about 8 weeks now....

She has been on antibiotics for 6 weeks and also on anti-fungal's for 10 days her infection was tested and she had both bactieria and yeast..she has also been getting baths 2 times a week with medicated shampoo...I wash just the infected area's 3 times and give her a full bath every 2 weeks...now that the weather is changing I will give her full baths all of the time....I had to hold off on grooming because of the infection but have gotten her groomed in a very short puppy cut so it does not take her a long time to dry...The groomer did a great job in bathing her twice and leaving her medicated shampoo on her for 10 minutes...

Well, with grooming comes clipper burns (just one but it is big) and she is just miserable...I have her on 25mgs of benedryl every 6 hours and had to give her xanax (which she takes for anxiety) tonight because she was just so itchy...I have put benedryl cream on her clipper burn...

Of course I am going to make another appointment with her vet because is seems as though this infection has the best of her...and me for that matter...

What else can I do to make her comfortable???? I feel like I have failed her as an owner....The infection came on so fast and covered her belly, neck and private parts from the beginning....now she has a new spot on her bottom and it looks like the spots on her belly have not even gotten smaller...

She is comfortable right now...and I will call her vet in the morning...PLEASE HELP....

Any information would be so helpful and I would be grateful for any answers.....

Thanks
Colleen

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi there,

I applaud you for doing as much as you can do for your dog. Please don't feel that you have failed her. Sometimes these conditions can be frustrating and require additional tests and treaments to resolve. We try the easy treatments first, then move on to additional tests and therapies if those don't work.
It sounds like your veterinarian has done some good testing. Was the skin cultured to identify the bacteria? Has a skin biopsy been done? Sometimes infections occur secondary to other problems? Is there an underlying thyroid condition or allergy?
There are veterinary dermatologists in many communities to work with the family veterinarian on skin conditions that seem unusual and/or do not resolve with routine therapy.
Yes, make an appointment with your veterinarian and explain your frustration. Ask what else could be going on, any additional testing they feel may be helpful and/or additional therapy.
Again, thank you for being such a good owner and taking such good care of your dog. Really, most problems we face in veterinary medicine can be resolved to make both you, and your pet, comfortable.

Dr. Sandy

Grandmaof03 replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Thank you so much Dr. Sandy,

Actually,no skin tests were only done on her first appointment and she was just tested to see if it was bacteria or yeast...it was both...No biopsy has been done yet...when I take her back in I am hopeful to have those tests or just go on to the dermatoligist for her...Bailey's vet is awesome and I have all the faith in the world in her...we have discussed the possibility of allergies (my beagle who passed in september had bad allergies) but were trying to resolve the problem at hand...Her thyroid has not been tested...I am open to anything that will make her feel better....

Thank you again for your speedy response...I am hoping for a quiet night with her....

Colleen

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections