Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
WHY IS MY DOGS POOP GREEN?
An_221298 posted:
I noticed today my dogs poop was green, he has been eating noral and active as usual, what could be causing this. Could he be eating too may treats, i know the treats i sometimes give him are green. Could that have anything to do with it. Help i need some suggestions.

hotkatt responded:
is your dogs poop solid or liquid like ? Too many treats could be the problem or it could be his food. does he only get dog food or people food too? If problem persists maybe you should call your vet.

tyralynn35 replied to hotkatt's response:
His poop is solid. He does eat just a little bit of people food but not much just too taste. Now i have been giving him a little bit more treats thatn normal,and i have thought that could be the problem. Thanks for responding to my question.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
The color of the feces is dependent on what is eated, and occasionally on what is occuring inside the digestive tract. Dogs can eat green colored treats, crayons, colored candy, chlorophyll in plants, and other things with green. That is the most likely cause of the abnormal color. Generally it is not something to worry about.

travelingone replied to Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS's response:
Would stools be green if the dog ate cleaning vinegar or licked ant killer spray?

undefined responded:
I noticed today my dog's poop is green. She is not eating and not interested in food. Her weight is 3kg.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections