Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Red dye in dog food
sugar2270 posted:
I have a little pug and just recently changed his food to proplan. prior to that, he liked that bistro dry dog food. It had the red food in it, which I understand is the dye in it and is not suppose to be good for them. How long might it take for him to get use to his new food? I do add a half a can of wet food with it, he will then eat it.

Home2strays responded:
you're supposed to transition foods over about a weeks time- switching quickly can cause an upset stomach and adding wetfood is going to double that... instead of wet food try adding a little boiled chicken or whiterice to his new food.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
Recent studies are suggesting that food dyes are probably not harmful to most people (and by assumption to dogs), except for a few with neurologic conditions like ADHD. Any diet change is best made by starting with 1/4th new food, 3/4 old food for a week or so; then 1/2 new and 1/2 old for a week; then 3/4 new and 1/4 old for a week. Most dogs can be changed slightly faster and a few dogs never adjust to the new diet. If you are going to add wet food, I suggest adding a heaping tablespoon to the dry food and pour a little warm water over that to make a "gravy" to increase the palatibility.

Thanks for asking, I hope it goes well.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections