Includes Expert Content
Dog has growth on eyelid
An_221301 posted:
Hi, my dog has a small growth on his eyelid but it doesn't bother him. Any medicine to get rid of it?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

limichelle responded:
My dog had a growth on his eyelid also. The vet said that it was not bothering him but it was bothering me! The eye could get ulcerated from it and that would be a problem for him. It continued to grow so I had it removed in November 2010. It has since grown back in only 5 months after the surgery and is getting bigger and faster this time.

The vet did say that they have a tendency to grow back. He also had a growth on his ear that I was told was a wart so I had that removed also that is also growing back.

As far as I know there is nothing you can put on this to make it go away that is why I had surgery done. Some dogs are prone to this I was told.

I would be interested in hearing what the vets have to say here about this.

sydevarie replied to limichelle's response:
Thanks for your reply. This thing on his eyelid grew slightly bigger but I'm surprised it doesn't bother him. My dog is a black lab and he's 9 years old. I agree I would like to hear from a professional vet to see what to do....

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
Tiny growths (about 1/8th inch in diameter) are relatively common on the eyelids. They are seldom cancerous. The biggest problem is that they can continue to grow over time and then prevent the lid from touching the eye, potentially even rubbing the eye. I typically don't want them bigger than 1/4 inch in diameter to prevent the eye problems and to keep them small enough that their removal doesn't leave a defect in the eyelid.

Watching for growth is appropriate at this time. Thanks for asking.

sydevarie replied to Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS's response:
Thanks for your help Bonnie...I will be sure to monitor....so far he's been pretty healthy and the growth doesn't bother him...

digital104775 replied to limichelle's response:
My dog (Siberian Husky) had a growth on his eyelid also. It grew to a good size and it didn't seem to be bothering him. I didn't want to take any chances of it interferring with his sight so I had it removed in November of 2009. It has not grown back yet, so I don't think it will.

I hope that everything goes well for those dogs that have one on their eyelids.

I wish you all the best of luck.

realisticly replied to sydevarie's response:
I have a chocolate lab that has a tumor on his eye lid and the vet told us that when it gets large that he can remove it then. Right now it is so small that it is not worth removing. He said labs are prone to tumors and cysts. I have lots of confedence in our vet as he is super so I wouldn't worry.

An_248212 replied to digital104775's response:
i, My dog is 11 years old and has the same problem. I got one quote from a vet to remove it would be between 1,100 & 1,400 ddollars. Can that be right? Seems a lot and I am trying to save up for it because I know it must be uncomfortable for her.

edwardmoehler replied to Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS's response:
my lab is about 7 years old and she started gettin this wierd growth on her eye and now its gettin to where her eye is like bloodshot and she trys to rub it on the furinture to scratch it what should i do.

deeogee52 replied to An_248212's response:
Yes, unfortunately. I believe the Vet told me that most of the cost was for the anethesia and that it is based on the weight of the dog (My dog is about 90lbs). I was quoted pretty much the same thing. The assistant printed me an estimate with the breakdown. I went ahead and had it removed because it was getting bigger. When I first received the estimate, the growth was a lot smaller and the Vet told me I still had time to have it removed without a problem. I saved the money and 4 months later (it grew pretty fast) I had the surgery done. My dog is mixed Lab/Shepard. I was also told that this is common problem. Who knew????

deeogee52 replied to edwardmoehler's response:
You're going to have to take it to the Vet and get it removed. No way around it. My dog had the same thing. It's alittle expensive so get Care Credit (You can take up to a year to pay off interest free) if you don't have the money. But if it's bothering her, the sooner, the better.

roxygirl577 responded:
My dog had a small growth on her lower eyelid for about a year, I noticed it started growing towards her eye so I knew I needed to do something. She is almost 18 so I didn't want to have her go through surgery so I tried a few natural therapies but none worked. I came across an article talking about castor oil for tumors and I have always heard about the wonders of castor oil so I though I would try it and I'm so glad I did because it worked!! In just two days her growth was 99% better, I'm still using it to get rid of the tiny bump that's left. This stuff is a miracle, make sure to get the hexane-free kind, sold in most health food stores and the MOST important part, make sure you apply wet heat to the growth first, like a hot wet cloth, then wet the cloth again in hot water, let it cool a second then apply come castor oil to it and put it on the growth for30 seconds. Do this 3 times a day until it's gone

jaywi replied to roxygirl577's response:
Hi: Does the castor oil hurt his eye if it gets in it? My lab has a growth and I have seen the vet. It's on his lower left eyelid and has gotten larger. Cost to take it off is $659 or if I want to not have the pre-op blood test done and the Catheter IV it is $446.
My vet also said if I go the $659 route I should have the Dental package too which only ups the cost by $20.00. Not made of money but if I do the cheapest route then my dog won't have the IV in him and I guess the blood test is for making sure his liver enzymes etc are good prior to the surgery. So, I will try the castor oil first and if you would be so kind as to answer my question I would appreciate it. Thank you. Also, if there is a vet available could you advise me on whether or not I should have the IV and blood test done and the danger if i don't.

deeogee52 replied to limichelle's response:
My dog had the same thing and had surgery to remove it. It came back within a month. I took him to another Vet (Her regular one) and had the surgery performed by her. Since the surgery is expensive, I selected the first Vet who did the surgery on price. After it cam back, I decided to just pony up the money and get it done by my regular Vet who is very good. She told me that the roots were not removed/catheterized and that is why it grew back so quickly. Also, after it was removed, it should have been biopsied. She also explained that they can grow back, but usually, not in the exact same spot. If you have a Vet you trust and they recommend surgery, I think you should do it.

bbannon replied to roxygirl577's response:
My dog is 16 and can't be put to sleep. I tried antibiotics with no success so I plan on getting the Castor Oil today to try. She is very small Maltese and has fatty tumors all over her so if this works on the eye I will try it on other places. Thanks for the tip!