Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
fleas
cedee1 posted:
I just use comfortis on my dog on the 6th of this mnth. my question is can I or should I use frontline with it. I got two differnt answers yes and no which should I do Thanks

MSettle78 responded:
NO defintly NOT ! comfotis is all you need it would really prob make your dog sick. The fleas should clear up soon if not give dog a bath

Violets_are_Blue responded:
We have clients who use both when they find out they have a tick problem as well (Comfortis does not effectively kill ticks). Most dogs are completely fine as both medications use a different way to be effective. All dogs are different though so do keep an eye on them when mixing it and any problems should be immediately reported to your vet. My question is why do you need to use one now? Is it for ticks? As stated, Frontline can be used to kill off any ticks or you can ask your vet for an effective tick collar. Are you seeing fleas? It can take 2-3 months to clear up a small flea infestation and, at this time, you will still see fleas. Fleas need to be on the dog to actually be affected by the medications as well, whether it is Frontline or Comfortis. If it's because of this, using both really isn't going to make them die faster.

cedee1 replied to Violets_are_Blue's response:
I live In Califroina and the weither is get warmer now no ticks just fleas she is always crachihg tryed the others but did not help, gos in and out of house the cat got fleas seen them so the dog is bring them in. the dog is a black and gray the out side dog is white and brown and dose not seen to be bathered by the fleas. thanks for the info. well keep on comfortes and no frontline for now she got provo as a pup and we payed the big price to keep her alive, so U can see where I am coming from

Violets_are_Blue replied to cedee1's response:
It may be that your lawn has fleas in it. Contacting a pest control company would be wise as attacking their source will be the most effective treatment. Diatomaceous earth (a type of soil sold by most gardening facilities) can also be used to decrease the flea population outside. It would be best to also treat everyone for fleas, not just the dog that has them as, as you have seen, fleas can bounce from one pet to the other.

cedee1 replied to Violets_are_Blue's response:
have DE and Used in house but have desert tortiles out side have to be careful of what I use in back yard. Thanks again
and GOD BLESS ^I^

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections