Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Heartworm
MSettle78 posted:
My friend and I are both about 7 months pregnant . I have 2 dogs both are 3 & 4 and have been on heartworm Meds their whole life and get their yearly shots and are very well taken care of . She recently adopted a year old pitbull and she took him in to the vet to get his exam and found out he has had heartworms. Is this contagious to her and her baby ? Or me since ive been around the dog ? And do I have to now take my dogs to get checked again even though they have not once missed their monthly meds ?

Violets_are_Blue responded:
Heartworms are not contagious in the most common definition. Just being around the dogs does not mean you will contract heartworms. Heartworms are nematodes that are transported by mosquitoes. The mosquitoes suck the larval stage out of an infected dog and carry it and have a chance of injecting it when they find another host. Humans are very low on the list of contracting heartworms as the parasite does not find us as appealing as most canines. While it is not impossible, it is highly unlikely.

Heartworm preventatives do protect dogs from heartworms very well (topical is around 85-90%, oral is around 99%) and it is highly unlikely for them to contract it if they have been on medications every month year round. Taking them in now for a test is a waste of money as most tests look for an immune response present in the blood. This response does not appear until 4-6 months after an infection occurs as that is when the heartworms mature and begin to reproduce.

If you are concerned at all about your health, your child's health, your friend and her child, or your own pets still or something seems to be off about anything, do please contact your doctor or veterinarian.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections