Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Swollen glands in cat jaw?
Rohvannyn posted:
I just felt a lump in my new kitty's jaw, right about where you would feel one if a human had a cold or something that caused swollen glands. It's just on the right side.

At the last vet checkup the vet found nothing wrong, and I know that ultimately the only one who will be able to tell is the vet, but I was wondering if cats got lumps there while fighting off illness the way we do? At the moment he's also sneezing a little bit, so hence my curiosity about swollen glands caused by some kind of upper respiratory issue. He is eating and drinking, but is a little grumpy and hisses at my spouse when she comes near too suddenly. He'll let me pet him but doesn' t want to purr.

Home2strays responded:
i would probably take him in and get him seen and started on some antibiotics, respiratory infections in cats can get quite bad and theyll stop eating- which then causes liver disease quite easily. best to get it nipped in the bud now.

Rohvannyn replied to Home2strays's response:
Thanks for the tip. Before I could get him to the vet (it takes several days for me to get an appointment) it cleared up, and so did the lump. I suspect it was viral, and if it was, antibiotics wouldn't have helped. He ate a little less but I got some wet food into him, and he's fine and frisky now. I just wanted to give everybody an update on it.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
There are many things that could cause a "lump" but there are two glands in that area: lymph nodes and salivary glands. While it is possible for an upper respiratory infection (a "cold") to result in an enlarged lymph node, that doesn't happen often. Since he's obviously not feeling well, he really needs to see his veterinarian to find out what's wrong with him.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

gottalovethem replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
I adopted a kitten in December, took her straight away to the Vet, had all the blood work done, fecal, physicial, etc. At the time she had a small nodule in her lymph gland. No other symptoms except a diarreha and bloated stomach. She was also wormed, bathed, the whole nine yards. She was given a clean bill of health. My question, she has 3 episodes of swollen glands since Dec. She eats, drinks, plays like a maniac. She does pass deadly gas, but this has occurred since she was a kitten. I am on a limited budget and the Vets in my area charge more than my MD. Is this something that I should worry about since she has no other symptoms or should I take her in (I could always take a loan against my vehicle to pay for it). Please Advise. Thank you in advance to your attention to my kitties aliment. Sincerely Appreciated.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP replied to gottalovethem's response:
First, make sure your veterinarian has checked your cat for Feline Leukemia, which is a common cause for this symptom in young cats. If she's negative, your veterinarian can perform a "Fine Needle Aspirate" on the lump to see what it is. This procedure usually doesn't require anesthesia and is much less expensive than a surgical biopsy (and is nearly as accurate.) Let us know what you find out!

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections