Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Has anyone had to sedate their cat for a vet visit?
shellgg posted:
Hi everyone,
I am bringing my very uncooperative 10 year old cat to the vet Friday and, in order for the vet to examine him, he has to be sedated. It will be a shot that makes him sleepy and relaxed. Has anyone had any success with this. I'm nervous about this.
Thanks!

luvmycatsandmydogs responded:
I used to work in vet clinics and that was used on more then one occasion for sassy kitties and also we used isoflorine gas to sedate them as well we would just put them in a "kitty box" a tupperwear in some cases with a hose going in for the iso and oxygen to go in and before you know they were asleep soooo much easier to work on them both ways you always have risks theres just no way around it but if a kitty cant be even examined then what choice do you have, hope everything goes well for your kitty

Home2strays replied to luvmycatsandmydogs's response:
ive worked in animal hospitals over 10 yrs now and "uncooperative" kitties are typically done that way or as described above. As long as he doesnt have any severe organ issues (which im sure you would have noticed by now) he should be fine be able to metabolize it. However i do think its more important in your situation to have bloodwork done to be sure of those things. Sedating a very stressed kitty just makes it easier on the cat and the staff. The cat just goes to sleep and doesnt have the horrible expereince of being worked on when stressed

shellgg replied to Home2strays's response:
Thank you both very much. I am bringing him in the morning and am very nervous. I will ask them about bloodwork first. The reason he needs to be examined is because he has been hacin loose stools with a little bit of red blood in it.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Of course, it's always ideal to not sedate a patient before examining him and making sure it's safe to do so. Unfortunately, this is not always possible. You might try taking him to a feline-only clinic as many cats are less stressed in an environment without dogs or other species. It's also possible to give him a mild oral sedative at home, right before his appointment. If he needs to be sedated at the clinic, it's better to use an inhalant (gas) anesthetic instead of an injectable one, as it wears off much more rapidly and he can usually go home soon after his visit. Finally, make sure you bring him in his carrier as that gives him some place to call his own while at your veterinarian's office.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

KittyKatJenn responded:
I ahve one cat that I have to sedate every time. I give him a "Happy Pill". Then we sit in the room with the lights off for a few minutes. It helps keep the stress down which is great because he has asthma. And he is just a grump when he goes to the vet!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections