Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dogs and Severe Weather
AnnC7 posted:
My 3 year old Cockapoo is acting very different. Although there is tornado warnings predicted for our Area, there is nothing outside indicating anything. She wont go out, she has her ears back and is staring towards the door, I walked outside to show her its fine and not raining or windy, Nothing. She came out, sat on the porch, then turned around and went in. Its almost as if she knows something. Do dogs know something bad is coming? Any suggestions?

Home2strays responded:
their hearing and senses are far better than ours- she could be hearing something miles off or that famous "sixth sense" may be telling her something is happening- or you may be acting differently subconsciously and just not know it. try acting normal and ignore her (dont coddle her because that will make it worse) and just go on about things.

oreobinz replied to Home2strays's response:
so what if it is lightening out or there are fireworks and they need to go out & do their thing, but shake and REFUSE? How do I get them to not be so afraid of loud noises? If they're afraid, & run to me, Its very hard to ignore, even when I do, they still are scared to death! they shake, ears down, hide under table, etc....I have a border collie, who seems afraid of everything! ???

Home2strays replied to oreobinz's response:
have you tried crate training? they eventually come to view the crate as "home" and it can be a calming place for them. as for going potty with bad weather thats a hard one, unless your dog is also trained to potty pads. my dogs arent scared of the rain or anything but my bichon hates getting her feet wet so holds it in the house or pees or our back lanai. theres also that thundershirt for dogs that ive heard good reviews about, otherwise get a cd of storm sounds and play it very low and desensitize your dog to it.

AnnC7 replied to Home2strays's response:
Home2strays, You are very knowledgeable and Im going to take your advise, Thanks so much. Im so glad the 4th is over. I worry about every animal, Domestic and Wild, before during and after when people are still blowing them off. How scary for them. The Thundershirt is going to be what I google next. Thanks again.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM replied to AnnC7's response:
You might find some helpful suggestions in this Summer Noise Phobias blog

http://blogs.webmd.com/pet-tales/2011/07/summer-noise-phobias.html

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections