Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
BBtoo posted:
My cat is 4 l/2. He constantly scratches his neck and licks and grooms. He also shakes his head some. He had been getting depot shots for a couple of years to treat his allergies; then his doctor took him off and told me to give him Prednisone. When I gave him Revolution 5 days ago, he had a reaction and was very uncomfortable. Constantly itching and biting himself. He must be allergic to the Revolution? What else could he be allergic to?
Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi BBtoo,

If you think your cat has had a reaction to the Revolution medication please contact your vet for help. Prednisone is a steroid medication. This article Allergies - Skin may be helpful before you talk to your vet about your cat's problems.

Take care!

- Annie
There's nothing better than a warm fuzzy hug from your pet!
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
It is possible to be allergic to anything, including Revolution. You can have your cat tested for allergies (intradermal skin testing) by a veterinary dermatologist but it may not change the way your cat is treated. It's interesting that your veterinarian took your cat off long-acting anti-inflammatory injections (which are correctly called "repositol" injections but sometimes referred to as "depot" injections as the medication's brand name is "Depo-Medrol") and put him on oral Prednisolone. This isn't usually as effective but can have fewer side effects if that's a concern. However, most cats rarely have side effects to either drug (not true of dogs or people.) Ask your veterinarian what she thinks.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice


William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections