Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cat carriers of step???
luvmycatsandmydogs posted:
I was just wondering my daughter came home from school today and was told by her teacher that cats can carry and then give strep throat to humans is there any truth to this???? As long as I worked in vet clinics i have never heard of this so i was looking for clarification before i tell her any different.

Will Draper, DVM responded:
I am almost positive that cats cannot transmit strep (Streptococcus) to humans, nor do they carry the same strain that affects humans and causes "strep throat". Cats do get upper respiratory infections, but not caused by Streptococcus- usually by herpes, calici, or rhinoviruses- not contagious to humans.
Dr. Will

luvmycatsandmydogs replied to Will Draper, DVM's response:
Thanks that is what I was always told and heard just thought maybe something changed that I wasn't aware of

rohvannyn responded:
I do know for a fact that dogs are able to carry strep, and that's been confirmed by a PA (WebMD's Dr. Rod Moser to be exact) but I also know that this still doesn't mean that cats necessarily would.

There's a really funny story on Dr. Moser's blog about the Lab who carried strep, in fact.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Actually, there has been some indication that cats and people can transmit streptococcal bacteria to each other. This is not too far-fetched, as bacteria are less picky about who they infect than viruses and other organisms are. The evidence is scant, however, and seems to indicate it's more likely for cats to get strep from people than visa versa. In cases of recurrent strep throat infections in children who live with cats, it's a good idea to treat their cats. The few times I've done this, it's resolved the problem (which is not really proof, but it's easy to treat cats for this.) Interestingly, the cats showed no signs of illness.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

An_245241 replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
If I want to get my cat treated in case it is a carrier, what medicines should my vet be prescribing? I'm afraid that my vet isn't too familiar with something like this and I want to make sure that we're using the right medicine.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
I agree with my colleagues, that the majority of the bacteria that affect people don't affect animals and visa versa. This is not 100% but generally true. If you want to learn more about Strep in particular, you can read... http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/streptococcosis.pdf

You can have your cat cultured...throat would be the most common site. What antibiotic would be dictated by what organism is found and its susecptibility.

As mom always said...wash your hands after playing with your pets. Smoochy, wet kisses should probably be avoided.
Dr. Bernadine Cruz

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections