Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
The Dogs of War: What do you think?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Among the American heroes who stormed Osama bin Laden's bunker several weeks ago was Cairo, a furry, four-legged soldier who performed his job perfectly. No bones about it.

Cairo is just one of the growing numbers of dogs being used by police and military to sniff out drugs and weapons and do other types of forward reconnaissance. And, there may be even more work for these dogs in the future , thanks to the development of new types of armored protection and high-tech gadgetry designed specifically for these patriotic pooches.

At some point, dogs may be transporting medical supplies or water in the field where men are unable to navigate. There are also other devices being designed for riskier scenarios.

As an animal lover, what are your thoughts about these types of working dogs? Is there a limit in your mind?

Rohvannyn responded:
Dogs really seem to enjoy it when they have a job to do. My father (who is blind) refused a guide dog because he didn't feel it was fair to the dog to sit under a desk all day, but that's a one time scenario. I really am of two minds. On the one hand, I know that working dogs generally enjoy their work and look forward to it. On the other hand, is it right to make them do a job that is dangerous? Then again, is it right to make people do a job that is dangerous? I might argue that a human being has a choice whether or not to do a job, but once they are in the military (for instance) there is no choice.

Ultimately, I figure working dogs are fine, even dogs of war, as they have a long and proud history and save many lives with their bravery. The limit would be how they were treated. Since they aren't volunteers, they should at least have the opportunity to survive if they can and not be sent on suicide missions like mine carrying dolphins were.

maxisawesome responded:
can you give dogs albuterol if they are having trouble breathing due to pnuemonia - I just posted about my dog Max and am desperate until Vet opens tomorrow

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to maxisawesome's response:
Hello maxisawesome,

I hope you took Max to an emergency clinic. Please let us know how he is doing.

Byroney
Every dog has his day - but the nights are reserved for the cats ~ Unknown

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
We have a veterinarian friend stationed in Afghanistan. They provide care to the armed forces animals and any animals that are brought in by the local residents.

One of the humanitarian initiatives is to help set up clinics and hospitals for the local communities and tribes.

It is amazing how many animals are injured in the course of war.

Elizabeth

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections