Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Do You Kiss Your Dog?
Will Draper, DVM posted:
At one time or another, we've all heard someone say, "Dogs' mouths are cleaner than our mouths!" It is usually professed by a person who, at that moment, is kissing their dog in a way that would make anyone think, "Gee, get a room!"

The idea that dogs' mouths are cleaner than ours is a myth. After all, they will eat out of the trash can -- and the kitty litter box, too! Dog saliva is full of bacteria.

Fortunately, for us humans, the bacteria dogs harbor in their mouths is species-specific. This means they can transmit their germs to another dog, but not to us. Dogs harbor some strains of bacteria that are familiar to us, like strep or staph, but not the types of strep or staph that will make us sick.

It is important to note that dogs can carry certain parasites, like hookworms and roundworms, which can be transmitted to humans, so it is important that your dog is on a good de-wormer (typically an ingredient in the monthly heartworm preventives). Most responsible pet owners give their dog a heartworm preventive. If you are a responsible dog owner, and your dog wants to lay a big, wet kiss on you -- well, lean on in and take it!

How to you make sure your dog remains free from heartworms and other parasites? Does your dog like to give you friendly kisses? This is one time when it's ok to "kiss and tell", so share your doggie kiss experiences with other members of the community!
Dr. Will
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Rudysmommie responded:
I kiss my dog all the time, not on the mouth though or do i let him kiss me on the mouth, but there isn't a day that goes by that i don't shower my baby with kisses.

bambigrace replied to Rudysmommie's response:
My dog loves kisses, mostly giving. When she is giving kisses, she is always sticking her tongue in my nose which is very uncomfortable. No matter what I do or say, she wont quit. I tell her 'enough' and push her away from my face but she is right back 30 seconds later. I love her hugs, which she gives so freely and in the past couple weeks, she has started 'petting' my shoulder while she is hugging. Weird, cuz thats nothing we taught her but she will do it when you ask for a pet. She is a love.

Grandmaof03 responded:
I kiss my dog on the top of her head...she kisses me on my nose but sometimes misses and kisses me on the lips...

My daughters dog kisses me...I let both my dog and my daughters dog kiss me a few times, then I tell them "Thank You" and pull my head back...

The only thing is with my dog is that if I am talking to someone and she is sitting on my lap...sometimes she gets me right in the mouth....that is a bit much for me

But I will continue to kiss her on the top of her head...

Colleen

ByrdNest responded:
My dog licks my husbands face all over ...to the point I want to say "get a room". I tell them both to stop cheating on me. The funny thing is I am her master and she loves me very much but will not lick me except a small lick on the inside of my wrists and on my legs as I walk by her.

lilmonstersmomma responded:
I love kissing my boys. They both put their faces up to us to have us give "smackers" on the head, between the eyes and on the cheeks. For the ChiPin, just put your finger on your lips and his little head is right there to get kisses. The MinPin just throws out his left paw and pulls you close to get his sugars. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Will Draper, DVM responded:
GREAT responses! Loving all of the "puppy love". Thanks for sharing!
Dr. Will

PegMeerkatz responded:
My dog is a diabetic alert dog. She is 12 pounds & often sits on my lap. Her "signal" that there is a problem with my sugar when she is sitting on my lap is to lick my right ear & YES sometimes she sneaks a kiss or 2 on the lips but no I do not freak out about it. Because I have MS as well as diabetes (& a few other things) I am very careful after she kisses me or before eating (other times as well) to use antibacterial wipes I use so many I think I keep the company in business. I too grew up in an era where people believed a dogs mouth was cleaner than a humans but seeing where my dog puts her mouth on an average day...

I DO allow ear kisses (even when she is not signaling) & hand kisses are ok too but as much as I love Esperanza I will probably always use the wipes afterward.

BoxerRescuer replied to ByrdNest's response:
I experienced the exact same situation with my male Boxer! It
was quite laughable. Rocky would always sit right next to my husband on the couch and continuously try to lather his face
with saliva. My husband would say "Okay, thank you, that's enough" He'd stop and soon start up again. He NEVER did that to me. Rocky was much more affectionate to me as a puppy. As he got older, a kiss from him was a rarity. As with you, I was his primary caretaker, feeding him, walking him, taking him out etc. When he was 2, we got a new puppy and soon after is when the
change of affection seemed to occur. Rocky loved the puppy and was very protective and respectful toward her. I had assumed he backed away from me with his affections out of respect for Adrienne, knowing she was a baby. However, it continued into her adulthood. I would practically get up in his face trying to get him to look at me. If he did, it was a quick glance and then back straight ahead. He often seemed to be looking at me through the corner of his eye. I know about the looking dogs in the eye thing, but Adrienne has no problem. I used to wonder if he was mad at me because of the lack of affection and eye contact.....but I still knew he loved me. Then one day, I read that the reason a dog licks a person's face is to show the person that the dog acknowledges that person as the alpha dog. He could have been acknowleding my husband this way simply because he was larger and a male with a loud, firm voice. I found this interesting and plausible and it made me feel better about it all (not that I WANTED to be slobbered!)
'Adrienne licks both of our faces. I stop her after one lick and say thank you". I then turn away and wipe my face (turning as if she would know what I was doing and feel bad! We so often think our dogs know, think and feel everything exactly as we do! ( I do believe they think, feel, undertand some things and can exhibit emotions etc.) My point was that it is all not the same as us at least not at all times.

Bathtime2 responded:
I personally don't let my dog lick me/my face. I just find it yucky. However, I think that her kisses for me are when we are laying in bed and she nuzzles up to me and puts her snout under my chin. I think of those as her kisses for me.

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
I kiss both of my French Bulldogs on their heads and cheeks. The girl dog knows not to lick me on the face, but she and my husband really need to get a room. The male dog likes to lick people on their legs if they're wearing shorts!

susanmedwriter responded:
We have two Cavalier King Charles spaniel puppies. One loves to jump up on my lap and lick my face, and I kiss him on top of his head. The other shies away from kissing but loves belly rubs. Like people, they are all individuals. And, like people, they all crave affection; they just express it differently.

Duplexia responded:
I kiss my dogs all over, usually their heads. I'm not a mouth kisser, though. Penny isn't a licker/kisser at all. I don't even know if she's licked my face once in the 6 years I've had her. That's not her thing. She'll lick your clothes or hands if she smells something she likes though. LOL. Daisy is a compulsive licker, has been since day one. She licks everything she can, blankets, her paws, the couch, your body, etc. She's not as bad as when we first got her, doesn't really lick furniture anymore. We used to find wet circles on the couch from her licking. Sometimes she gets really excited to see me and slaps a quick kiss on my mouth, chin or nose. Not a big slurp or anything. haha. She'd lick your hands all day long if you let her, though.

MissMandyMae responded:
My dogs kiss my face, and I kiss their heads. My mom's dogs will kiss anyone they can other than my mom. She doesn't like tongue kisses and trained them to just push against her with their mouth and not lick for her kisses. Her youngest, Ginger, will also whine and say "mom" when she wants a kiss then huff and blow out her lips, lol. It's cute.

Mayoky responded:
of-course am used to it

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections