Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
VECTRA 3D killed my Boston Terrier
bostonbabies posted:
We had used Frontline Plus for 10 yrs. on our Boston; our vet discontinued carrying it. This is when I purchased Vectra 3d; approx. 4 hrs. after using it my 17 lb Boston started having seizures. Over a 2 month period of time her seizures continued, and the Dr. would have to increase her phenobarbitol & valium. My precious little Boston who had no health issues until I used the Vectra 3d on her, ended up having to be so medicated to stop the seizures...she couldn't function. She was so out of it; I had no option but to let my beloved Lucy rest in peace. Of course I was told that the Vectra 3d had nothing to do with her seizures; I'll never believe that.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
I am so sorry for your loss. Though the is no way for sure to say what caused the seizure, I understand that you will feel as though there is a cause and effect relationship with the application of the Vetra 3D. I have personally used Vectra in my practice and have not had any problems with it. The chemicals in Vectra do not work on a pet's neurological system as they do in fleas and ticks. You are likely aware that Vectra 3D is not even absorbed into the body. I know these words likely sound hollow at this time of your loss. One of the most common causes of sudden onset of seizures in an older dog is a brain tumor. You mentioned that phenobarbital at increasing doses was not helping to control the seizures. This is another hallmark of a brain tumor. Without an MRI or CAT scan, we will never know for sure. Allowing your Boston was a very difficult decision. Your unselfish act allowed her to pass on quickly, painlessly and with dignity. You may want to contact Summit Vet Pharmacy at 800-999-0297 and let them know of your concerns.

My thoughts are with you...
Dr. Bernadine Cruz

An_221343 responded:
Don't believe it. My 3 year old dachshund had a terrible reaction to flea meds I put on her neck. She couldn't walk and was crying so hard. I called the company (don't remember who, but it was a well known company) and they told me to wash her with Dawn. She did improve after 24 hours. I will never use any flea product on my dogs. All fleas meds should come with a big warning. It really should say "can kill dogs".

diperri replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Not all medications agree with all dogs. My Yorkie tried using Frontline and Advantix and became very larthargic after applying it. I had to switch to Revolution. God only knows what would have happened to him if I didn't wash it off immediately after the symptoms started. It makes me wonder if that is why he was getting seizures for the years before we adopted him. He is now almost 17 yrs old and has been seizure free for years. Flea and tick medications are very potant to a small animal

diperri replied to An_221343's response:
I agree with you. Putting chemicals into an animals system is not good, but before you decide not to try any, try Revolution. It is different, has safer ingredients. Ask your Vet about it,

Home2strays replied to diperri's response:
frontline and *i nelieve * revolution is absorbed into the oil glands, vectra is not. I have worked in 2 diff practices since vectra came out and the worst thing ive heard about it is it leaves an oily residue about a week. I agree not al meds agree, and odd things happen but too many are having good effects and if 1 in 10,000 have an adverse effect then its for the greater good. Frontline is an older product and especially here in florida fleas are immune to it. Hartz is a product KNOWN to cause seizures.

hal72 replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
We have 5 dogs and use Cedarcide for flea control. Cedarcide is a contact flea killer and also kills the eggs. It's a spray and totally harmless to animals, including people. We spray our carpeting, dog beds, and spray the dogs and then rub it in their fur. It makes everything smell like cedar so it kills odors also. We have not had a problem with fleas since using Cedarcide.

hattiehound responded:
It's so sad to lose a pet...I'm sorry you went through this.
I am not familiar with Vectra BUT I know several people who have had problems with other anti- flea preparations..I myself almost lost my 17 y/o cat when I put Frontline on her.l I don't think any of them are 100% safe. Have you gone on line to check if anyone else has reported problems with Vectra?

MinpinsandPits responded:
I am so sorry for your loss. I used one of those products years ago, (I think advantix?), within a day my dog could not walk, he stumbled worse and worse and seemed in horrible pain. After weeks of testing, we almost gave up because he could not walk at all at that point. We finally found out he had Lupus. The is unusual in dogs and can be triggered by a medication or chemical it is believed. Since it is so hard to properly diagnosis Lupus I wonder how many dogs go undiagnosed and are put down. I heard of one with same symtons and was put to sleep. I will never use those products again. Luckily with the proper diagnosis my dog was given Prednisone and lived to 18 years happily . He just passed last month, sadly. But when he got the first dose of medication it was miraculous he walked again. Good luck with your Boston.

MinpinsandPits replied to MinpinsandPits's response:
again I am sorry I meant sorry you lost your Boston,

pharmacytech2010 responded:
I have 2 miniature daschunds.My veterinarian prescribed Comfortis .My smallest daschund started having seizures and I almost lost him.They had to flush his system with charcoal .Thankfully we got him there in time.Now I am scared to use anything,but the fleas and ticks are really bad where we live.Do you have any suggestions?

mom2cookie responded:
I am so sorry for your loss. I believe you are correct about the Vectra. I have an 11 pound Shih tzu and used Frontline for years with no major problems other than a little itching at the site for a few minutes. My vet switched me to Vectra 3D two months ago and gave me a big discount for buying a year's supply. The first time I put it in her, she scratched, rolled, and itched for a few hours and then had diarrhea for about a week. I thought the diarrhea was from something she ate. Now, I'm not so sure. Tonight, I used it a second time and she immediately freaked out and became extremely hyper, agitated, jumpy, and itching. She is also acting like she is starving and ate two scoops of dry food and still wants more. She normally only eats 3/4 of the food I give her. Then she started racing around the house, up and down the stairs, jumping on and off the furniture, and even barked at me! She NEVER makes a sound unless the doorbell rings! She is also a very calm dog and has never acted this way. She is twitching all over and has a red spot on her back that looks like a chemical burn. I have bathed her and will go bathe her again with Dawn. I am so angry that this has happened! I will call my vet tomorrow and get my money back and tell him how horrible this poison is, especially to small dogs!!!

ThosW responded:
Please google "Boston Terrier Seizures." You may get some comfort from the fact these little guys seem to be pre-disposed to neurological problems. My dad went through this with two Bostons (Sparky and Mamie). Fortunately, we had a lot of good years with both before the problems developed.

Luvmydog1107 replied to mom2cookie's response:
My dog is 90 lbs and has horrible reaction to VECTRA 3D. He had seizures yesterday 3 days after giving it to him and last month a few days after giving it to him. IT IS POISON!!! There are far to many dogs having bad side effects with this, nobody can try and tell me differently. I wish people would stop using it. I am so scared to fall asleep and not be here for my dog if he has another seizure ((which he never had before and he is 7).

karabball replied to MinpinsandPits's response:
My neighbors dog was recently diagnosed with Lupus! So glad to hear that with meds she will live a happy, healthy life! So sorry for your loss!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections