Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Basset Hound and Rashes
dianes1925 posted:
My husband takes our dog Gibson for a good run across the way from were we live in Gettysburg, by an airport with a small marsh and tons of rabbits, he loves to chase and catch and then release after my husband tells him no. He has also been digging up what my husband think is salamander's of some type digging them up and again releaseing it, but my husband has stopped letting him dig in that area. I noticed what looked like a small bite on his backside under his tail (his tush), I put antibiotic ointment on it, and now it looks like he is getting a rash on his lower belly inner thighs, my husband thinks it might be poison ivy, I am afraid it might be from a bite, can a dog catch poison ivy?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi Dianes1925,

Dogs do not get rashes from poison ivy.

What you are seeing may be a rash due to something else, a skin infection, contact dermatitis, etc. I also cannot rule-out a reaction to the bite wound, perhaps even a low platelet count causing small petechia or pin point hemorrhages.

If it is still continuing, I would make an appointment with your veterinarian shortly to make sure we have the right diagnosis.

Dr. Sandy

doglover_445 responded:
Hi Dianes1925 -

This just happened to my basset, Henry. He developed a rash over his entire left hind side and was tearing it up by biting (itching) the rash. It then swelled up and the poor guy could barely walk!
He ended up developing a severe skin infection and a high temp! I brought him to the vet; he had to get his backside shaved, a shot of steroids and a shot of fluids for the temp. He is on two different prescriptions and has a creme for the rash.

Poor guy looked pathetic walking out of the vet office with no hair on one side of his rear end, an e-collar to keep him from itching and causing further damage, and his eyes SO bloodshot from the high temp.

I noticed a change in him instantly once the meds kicked in. I kept the e-collar on him at nighttime or when I wasn't with him. On day 2, I kept it off of him and he cleaned himself up (the sores were seeping from being swollen)

He is almost done with the medicine and is back to his silly happy go lucky self! I asked the vet what would have caused this, she said that it could be anything from bacteria to a flea bite and it escalated from there. The vet did check him for fleas (even though he is on preventative) and she didn't find any.

Good Luck and I hope you basset feels better soon!

dianes1925 replied to doglover_445's response:
Sorry for not reply in any way of a quick response, I had no computer for a while. Gibson had no fleas also and was on the good liquid flea killer plus I always kept a flea collar on him. But what my husband said the unlike my other Basset Nipper which I had to put down last March (Huge Cancer Buldge on his right back side) and they are not blood related, we had a really hot and bad drought for the most part of the summer and all the grass turned into very dry point junk and was irritating it so I used some Neosporin just a little where he couldn't get at it and tried keeping him away from the fields, Hay, Corn, etc. Even when we went for car rides in town to see the sights and monuments (just moved) and Gettysburg has tons of them we just tried to keep him away from it..He is much better now..I am glad you guy is doing so well, I know that look with the collar on them with those droopy eyes when we had him fixed lol... Poor animal was living in a cage for over 3 months and couldn't walk right as it was so we rescued him from this creep who was shutting down his puppy mill but still charged us all the same and he even had a broken tail and is terrified of children especially girls, but 5 years latter he loves the kids we live near by they understand not to rush him and to be gentle one at a time or he gets scared and wants to go inside right away...

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections