Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
nasal discharge
An_221369 posted:
I have two setters with clear nasal discharge and excessive drooling. One dog is 7 years old and the other 11 y/o. It started with excess drooling back in November and is not always constant but begins as soon as we go outside. It occasionally occurs inside as well. The past month or so the dogs have been having a clear coloured nasal discharge as well. I have had the dogs to the vet but she doesn't have any idea as to the cause. Worse still is I now have an 9 week old english setter and he is now occasionally showing the discharge himself

Will Draper, DVM responded:
Anon-182739: I've seen this before...more that once. It is generally due to some scent the dog is smelling somewhere in the environment. It can be another dog's urine, another dog, a particular plant or tree...many different things. Once they pick up the scent (or odor), it stimulates hypersalivation (excessive drooling)...which can be expressed as clear nasal discharge in some cases as well. Particularly with all 3 dogs showing the same symptoms, I'd think this is very likely. If it is the case, it's not anything to be overly concerned about- but I would suggest researching your environment and see if there are an recent changes (new landscaping, new pets, etc.) that might be causing this. Best of luck!
Dr. Will

telsi replied to Will Draper, DVM's response:
Thanks The discharge is running clear and not purulent, however Sam on occasion gags because of it. Like post nasal drip or something. So you don't think it is viral or bacterial. CBC count is normal

Dan

telsi replied to telsi's response:
Dr Draper, my vet suggested the same but the amount of nasal discharge is fairly large. That first post was mine by the way

regard Dan

Will Draper, DVM replied to telsi's response:
Dan- thanks for clearing that up. If the CBC is completely normal, it is probably not bacterial. I'd not jump on it being viral, since all dogs are experiencing it. It sounds very much environmental to me...possibly some sort of hypersensitivity. Have you tried antihistamines at all? I'd talk with your vet about a safe dose of, say, Benadryl, and see if it helps. Benadryl is pretty benign and even if it doesn't work, won't hurt the dogs.
Dr. Will

telsi replied to Will Draper, DVM's response:
Thank you Dr Will,for taking the time to help people with the problems people are having with their animals. I want you to know that help is much appreciated in my case

Dan

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections