Includes Expert Content
A dehydrated puppy
lamera2cool posted:
I have a 4 month old lab Luke who is 36 pounds and this past week he threw up and I told my husband that I had noticed a piece of screen in the threw up. Then on Friday I noticed him looking sad since he is my mischievous little guy. I called his vet and they said they could see him. When I arrived I was told he had a low temp of 103 and they also saw that he was not his usual self. Then The vet said maybe he got a reaction to the ticks since he had been around ticks and was on the advantage. Until I bath him and the vet said it washed out. Also, that labs and golden retriever like to get into everything. And that is could be a lot of things. So, he gave him a cortizone shot and said that should give him back his appetite back and be his playful self. Then he also, gave us some meds to give Luke which was Doxycycline twice a day and we started that evening. He then said if he did not get better the bad thing is that he is only open Mon- Friday to take him to the emergency vet and On early sunday morning around 2:30 a.m. I heard him crying from his kettle so I took him out and he vomit and then just look very sad and started to notice a faul smell. So I called several vet emergency were not open and he is still vomiting and I looked into giving him some broth and gatorade and he took the gatorade but not the broth in his food. Do not know what to do he is still not eating and is still vomiting.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Dear Lamera2cool,

Your vet is correct, Labs eat everything. The vomit with screen in it worries me as it is something that could easily get stuck and make Luke very sick. Hopefully a vet office is open now and you can make a beeline there. Let us know how Luke is doing.

Ann Hohenhaus

lamera2cool replied to Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Thanks for the information he has Parvo and giving him treatment at home but not looking good as now his sister Leia has it to... =( He is crying in pain waiting to sister to vet now so she can be treated.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to lamera2cool's response:
I am so sorry to hear about Luke and Leia! If it helps you feel any better, my Lab Nilla got Parvo as a puppy despite having had one shot already. My vet said it was because she was bottle fed (she had 12 living brothers and sisters!) and didn't have a proper immune system.

She spent two days in intensive care when it was touch and go, then bounced back. The good news is that she turns four years old on Sunday.

Holding good thoughts for both your pups. Let us know how they're doing,

Byroney
Every dog has his day - but the nights are reserved for the cats ~ Unknown

lamera2cool replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Byroney
Luke passed last night... It was so hard to see him suffer with the pain and crying )= I am at peace that my puppy is no longer suffering. I need to take care of his sister Leia and hope we have a better outcome for her. Thanks again for your thoughts.

My condolences on the loss of your beloved Luke last night. I am so sorry he did not survive, but now as you say, he is at peace.

Please let us know how Leia is doing.

In support,

Byroney

So it began today the treatment for Leia she held pretty good today and this evening . She is still okay. So it is going to be a long 72 hrs. I just hope she makes it I do not think I could take another heart break.... =(

lamera2cool replied to lamera2cool's response:
Leia is still holding up she made it threw her first treatment not like her brother. =(. It is still so hard to see her like this. She is a 4 month puppy who has all this energy and just to see her just not her usual self is sad.. I am keeping my head up and I am trying my best to be strong for her. Thanks for all the encourage words everyone. I will keep you all posted, Gloria

Gloria,

Thank you so much for the updates on Leia. They sound very hopeful. She's using all of her energy right now to fight off this terrible disease.

You sound like you're being very brave and doing all you can to support Leia through this.

Hope she's out of the woods soon,

Byroney

Thanks Byroney
I am trying to hang in there, She made it through the night so that is good news, I am confused though they said treatment for 3 days and I have read 5 days. I am going to check on the vet I rather do 5 days and be safe than sorry. Thanks for all your encouraging words Byroney. Gloria

Gloria, I'm hoping to hear some good news about Leia--how is she doing? I agree with you that you want to make sure she's stable before bringing her home.

Cheering you both on,

Byroney

Byroney
Happy to let you know she pulled through!!!! Yay so excited she was herself and trying to take off her IV even though I got extra medicine for her just in case. She is eating solid food and drinking water... And my husband and I just bath her so she is ready to go back to her bed... Thanks for all your encouraging words through this time. I know she made it I will have to post a picture of her soon. Gloria

Hooray Gloria! That is the best news to hear Leia pulled through!

Nilla (our Lab who had Parvo) took herself off her IV when she started feeling better, too. I hope Leia recovers as quickly and smoothly as Nilla did.

You must be so happy and relieved (and exhausted!) now that Leia is back home with you.

Thanks for update and I'm looking forward to seeing her picture soon,

Byroney