Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Daschund relocation difficulty
Littlefatbeagle posted:
Moved two weeks ago with three dogs to a 2 acre semi-wooded property with lots of chipmunks, fox,etc. My four year old eight pound mini daschund has gone hunting crazy. We moved from a similar size property with a lawn And invisible fence and she did fine there. She is staying within the invisible fence but disappears to hunt at any opportunity and I can't keep track of her. I've had to grab her out of woodpiles and burrows. She is overexcited and losing weight and whines inside the house. She killed a small possum in seconds. How can I get her to settle down and come when called? I am worried she could get hurt. I took her away to a familiar place overnight yesterday and she was her old relaxed self but home she is back to badger hound.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Unfortunately, your Dachshund is doing what she was bred to do. An invisible fence may no longer work and you may need to consider fencing part of the yard so you can keep track of her.

I have seen dogs badly injured in fights with possum, and chipmunks and foxes are animals that can sometimes carry rabies. To protect her, you're probably going to have to make more restrictions and monitor her more closely than you have in the past.

I suggest starting with your local vet. He or she will know what you need to look out for to protect her, make sure all of her vaccines are up-to-date and may be able to help give you some suggestions. You may also want to consider working with an animal behaviorist if she continues to be overexcited, losing weight and whining, and see if you can work together to tame some of that "badger hunter" in her!

Let us know how you're both doing,

Byroney
Every dog has his day - but the nights are reserved for the cats ~ Unknown

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Littlefatbeagle
I responded in the blog comments section. Hope the readers have some for us as I have a patient who is doing exactly the same thing. Ann Hohenhaus

Littlefatbeagle replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Have fenced in back porch for her so can't squeeze through so I know she'll be safe there. Invible fence is installed and both the beagle and her are doing great. Our third dog doesn't want to leave the garage.

The daschund is staying in sight now when I am out in the yard. She seems less overexcited although she spent 3 hours trying to dig a chipmunk out of a rock wall. Earlier I had taken her for a four mile walk so she's pretty exhausted tonight.

Whining still a problem. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your suggestions.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections