Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
please help me help him!
nathair68 posted:
I've got a mini daschund with a skin issue that matches nearly perfectly to the pic and description for folliculitis. I've been hospitalized for a month and my husband had been putting bagbalm on the "rash", but he licks it off immediately. I've got no income until I return to work on Aug 1, and therefore no money for a vet visit, as they deem this "non-emergent" (I've tried every local vet available). In the week that I've been home, I've tried baking soda baths and topical itch creams (which he promptly licks off) because he will not leave the area alone. As a result, there are now sores. I'm aware he needs to be seen by a vet to get the prescription antbiotics he undoubtedly needs, but until I can do this, I was told I could give him benedryl to ease his itching, but that I had to go online to seek dosing guidelines. He is 14 yrs old, 11 lbs, and has a heart murmur (mitral valve). He gives no indication of any pain or discomfort outside of the itching, but THAT is driving both him AND me crazy, and I'm lost as to how to help him with the limitations I currently have. Can anyone tell me how to help him? Please?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Nathair68

Maybe there is a way you could see a veterinarian.
Many veterinarians participate in a program called Care Credit.
http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/
The link above will have you find a pet healthcare provider who uses this plan and it might just be the stop gap measure you need until you are back at work.

Ann Hohenhaus

nathair68 replied to Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Thank you for responding. I appreciate the referal, but I applied and was denied. I'm going to call the Humane society again (there are 2 nearby) and see if they can assist in any way. I was given his correct dose of Benedryl but I'm reluctant to dose him again as he seemed to be afraid after I gave it to him last night and I didn't see much of an improvement in his level of itching; or not enough to justify having him feel the way he seemed to feel after I gave it to him. Perhaps they'll have something more they'll be willing to do now that there are open sores.

DebbieMac5 responded:
where is the rash on your doxie? have you tried a "cone collar" to keep him from licking off the med? I have a cat that licks himself raw at times and have put antibiotic cream on it and wrapped it so he cant get to it. this may help.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections