Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
is my dog depressed?
cats489 posted:
my 6 yr old king charles spaniel has recently been acting strange. she is panting a lot and liking her blanket or my hand!! its is very warm these days but the other thing she is doing is carrying around a small soft toy she thinks is her pup!! she gets very unsettled if its not with her and will go around the house looking for it. the last day when i came home she was crying hysterically until i followed her into the sitting room where she had her "puppy" on the couch!!

i know this sounds cute or funny but im getting really worried about her now. she is scratching her bed trying to get comfortable all the time too. i think maybe she is stressed or depressed although nothing has changed regarding her living arrangements, we had another dog but she was put down over a year ago now, i dont think she is waiting for her to come home or anything like that because she ruby was with us when our other dog was put down.
she is not neutered or in heat at the moment.im just wondering has anybody else had this experience with their dog or know what could be wrong wit her??
thanks!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome cats489 and thanks for posting about your King Charles Spaniel.

Here's an article on Depression in Dogs which may be helpful. You may also want to talk to your vet about phantom (false) pregnancy, since you mentioned she is "mothering" a toy.

Let us know how she's doing,

Byroney
Every dog has his day - but the nights are reserved for the cats ~ Unknown

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
I wonder if your dog could be having a false preganancy.
http://amcny.wordpress.com/2010/09/20/false-pregnancy-in-dogs/

Ann Hohenhaus

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections