Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My cat is sick....
xxxZITHxxx posted:
My cat, Klael, is a 2 year old male domestic short hair, brown tabby. He has been having trouble urinating on and off for the past few days. We thought it was a one time thing this past Thursday,because he started going regularly. Just in case, we purchased Urinary Tract health dry and wet food, and since friday we've only been giving him wet food mixed with a lot of water. This morning he was fine, urinating without a problem. Now he tries and strains and cries, and nothing happens. He has been laying down, curled in a ball, breathing faster than usual. He cries when we pet his belly. His stomach isn't "hard" but it does feel less squishy than normal. He makes weird growl/moan noises sometimes when he tried to twist around. We can not bring our cat to the vet, as we have a shortage of money and no credit cards.... Any ideas as to what could be wrong with our Klael and how to make him feel better? I hate seeing him suffer....

srstephanie responded:
Hi xxxZITHxxx,

Do you have a friend who can help pay for a vet visit ... maybe put it on their credit card and let you pay them back when you are able? Or ask the vet if they have any extended payment plan, e.g. care credit, etc.

When a male is not able to urinate and appears to be in pain, it can be a major emergency and he needs to be seen by a vet NOW. The male's urethra is smaller in diameter than a females and males are more likely to completely block. If it he is blocked and doesn't get veterinary care to unblock him ... the urine has no where to go and at some point (possibly within hours) the bladder can burst, which is a fatal event.

It is possible that he has a bladder inflammation (cystitis) which can be painful but is not an emergency ... but with cystitis, he would likely be passing some urine. Normally, giving as much water as possible is a good thing ... but if he is blocked and the water/urine has no where to go, it could make matters worse.

I hope you can find a way to get him to a vet ASAP. Only a vet can determine if he is blocked ... and have the equipment to unblock him. His breathing hard and apparent pain would make me scared that he is blocked. I hope you can find someone to help you with payment. I really think he needs veterinary care immediately.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Stephanie in Montreal

Violets_are_Blue responded:
I agree strongly with Stephanie. If you haven't taken him yet and are waiting for a second opinion, go to a vet now. A blocked male cat is a medical emergency that, if left untreated, is fatal. He may require surgery if they are unable to clear it with a urinary catheter and the sooner you get him to a vet, the better his prognosis and shorter his recovery time.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
As stated above, a male cat that can't urinate has a medical emergency. Urinary obstructions can cause his kidneys to fail, which can be fatal within 48 hours. Female cats also get urinary tract disease with the same frequency but rarely have a urinary obstruction due to their shorter, wider urethra. In addition to the other suggestions, some humane societies have their own clinic which can be quite inexpensive. Please let us know how Klael is doing.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

RicRatCat responded:
Your poor Klael! I'm not telling you anything you haven't heard. All these responses say the same thing. Please, get him to the vet ASAP. I see that this was posted a few days ago and hope that it's not too late for him! I had a Cymric named Bare Bear that had the same symptoms. I took him to the vet and was told that I just made it- he was a matter of a couple hours from death. It was to a night emergency clinic that I took him and it cost me over $600 dollars but we did manage to save his life. He had a UTI and they ended up draining almost a POUND of urine! It was amazing no irreparable damage was done but he was fine

1iriegirl responded:
This is very serious and he must see a vet asap. He is in a lot of pain too. My male cat had a few of these episodes then I decided to go with her recommendation to have a surgery to have his urethra made wider. The cost of the the one time surgery compared to the repeated visits due to the blockages would be smaller I figured. Now your cat may not have any more after this one, but mine did. He was a VERY finicky eater and did not like any of the special food he had to eat to keep him from getting blocked again. This was many years ago, so I do believe the their are much more varities of foods to choose from now. I just could not see him keep suffering so that is the route I chose.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections