Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dog's Broken Paw/Leg Joint? Home Treatment.
_thesovo posted:
My dog recently broke what seems to be the joint connecting his paw and leg. (Front left.) It sort of hangs off of it. (I dont want to get into further detail about it. It's... scary for me.) We do not have the money to take him to the vet. We put him in a splint.

Is there any medicine or home-treatments we could do that are inexpensive?

He is a 1 year old Chihuahua.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
thesovo-
I am really worried about your Chihuahau. They have such tiny fragile legs and may have a broken leg very near the wrist. Only an xray can tell for sure. Please consider applying for Care Credit or investigating a clinic in your area that is low cost to help with financing an xray. He may need a splint, but if not properly applied could permanently damage his leg.
Let us know what happens.

Ann Hohenhaus

Home2strays responded:
I agree with the good doc : ) Also wanted to add that an improperly splinted leg could caise the bone to resorb and then he'd need an amputation... please look into carecredit and asking family members for a favor for your little guy. Some hospitals also offer payment plans or can refer you to maybe a teaching hospital that can do it less expensively.

_thesovo responded:
Thank you, Ann and Home2strays for your concern.

Actually, the day after I posted this, we took him to a doctor to get an Xray. The day after that, he was able to get surgery and now he's sleeping next to me with a cast.

Luckily, we paid only around $750 for the surgery, antibiotics, and pain medication. At some places, it was almost $2,000.

Again, thank you both for caring. :>

humatone replied to _thesovo's response:
our chihuahua broke his leg today and we paid a $550 dollar E.R. Vet bill on Sunday. We have to take her to our reg vet on Monday for then to set her leg and cast it im sure. Where did u go to find a reasonable vet to perform the surgery on your dog. From what i understand it will cost approx $2000.

Rachee replied to _thesovo's response:
Where did you have the surgery done? My little Morkie needs surgery because his front paw is broken and I can't find any place that will do it for less than $2000-$3000. I live in Omaha Nebraska. Also I can't find anyone to do payment plans either.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections