Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
witch hazel on dogs
Anon_236640 posted:
My dog has some sore spots from itching them. She has no fleas but may be allergic to something she came in contact with. My friend who works at a Vet's office told me to try Witch Hazel before taking her to the Vet to see if it clears it up. I am fearful of using over the counter Witch Hazel because of the alcohol content, in that it will dry out her skin too much like peroxide can. Any thoughts about it anyone?

Will Draper, DVM responded:
You are right to have reservations- it is best to have a veterinarian examine your pet's skin before putting OTC solutions like Witch Hazel on open wounds. Follow your gut- call your vet. Best of luck to you.
Dr. Will

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections